Seeking help on GMAT preparation strategy

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:39 pm
Hi nishaant,

The primary problem with this data is that your CATs were not taken in a consistent way - all 3 scores offer a different set of "variables." You scored better at night, but you only took one of those CATs in its ENTIRETY (and it was a Veritas CAT, not an Official one). You had a pacing problem on one CAT, but only when you took an Official CAT and took it in the morning.

It's going to be tough to offer any additional suggestions until you take a couple of additional CATs in a way that MATCHES your scheduled TEST DAY.

1) On this most recent CAT, how many questions would you say that you had to guess on in each section? Did you leave any questions unanswered?
2) What time of day is your Official GMAT scheduled for?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nishaant » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 am
Thanks again for your help Rich!

1)I would have guessed around 7-8 ques in each of the sections because of time shortage.
2) My test is scheduled at 1:00 PM on 8th Dec so I have around 45 days to improve my score and plan a strategy to do that.

I will plan to give my next full CATs during the same time.

Thanks
Nishant

by nishaant » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:35 pm
Hi All,

Yesterday again I gave GMAT test 2 at the same time when my exam is scheduled (1:00 PM) and got just 630 total which was though better than last 590 but still below 680 and 670 which I got in Veritas. Probably the reason of 590 was that I gave the exam empty stomach and didn't eat anything.
But with this 630 (Q 47, V 30), I am not going anywhere. I have my exam on 8th Dec and need to raise my score to 700. With Verbal seems to be the main, culprit, please help and suggest me how could I improve on verbal now.
I had 13 wrong out of 41 but 6 of them came in first 15 questions itself with 3 wrong in first 6 questions.
Out of first 15, 9 were RC (which is my weak area) and I got 4 wrong in RC out of those 9. I have completed RC from Veritas Prep, EGMAT and GMAT Pill. Still, I am not able to improve much on this. Mainly I am able to eliminate 3 but choose wrong one out of last 2.

Please suggest me a strategy to improve my score overall within the next one month and specially RC.

Thanks
Nishant
Last edited by nishaant on Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by nishaant » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:35 pm
Hi All,

Yesterday again I gave GMAT test 2 and got just 630 total which was though better than last 590 but still below 680 and 670 which I got in Veritas. Probably the reason of 590 was that I gave the exam empty stomach and didn't eat anything.
But with this 630 (Q 47, V 30), I am not going anywhere. I have my exam on 8th Dec and need to raise my score to 700. With Verbal seems to be the main, culprit, please help and suggest me how could I improve on verbal now.
I had 13 wrong out of 41 but 6 of them came in first 15 questions itself with 3 wrong in first 6 questions.
Out of first 15, 9 were RC (which is my weak area) and I got 4 wrong in RC out of those 9. I have completed RC from Veritas Prep, EGMAT and GMAT Pill. Still, I am not able to improve much on this. Mainly I am able to eliminate 3 but choose wrong one out of last 2.

Please suggest me a strategy to improve my score overall within the next one month and specially RC.

Thanks
Nishant

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:41 pm
nishaant wrote:

Thanks
Nishant
Hi Nishant,

If you're interested, we have a free set of videos that cover all sorts of Reading Comprehension strategies: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... prehension

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by nishaant » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:49 pm
Hi Brent, thanks for the link. I would definitely like to go through the videos to improve my RC.

Hi Rich, Jessica and all,
I would really appreciate your help forming a strategy for last month study to push my score.

Thanks
Nishant

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by JTuquero » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:18 am
nishaant wrote:Hi All,

Yesterday again I gave GMAT test 2 at the same time when my exam is scheduled (1:00 PM) and got just 630 total which was though better than last 590 but still below 680 and 670 which I got in Veritas. Probably the reason of 590 was that I gave the exam empty stomach and didn't eat anything.

Thanks
Nishant
Hi Nishant,

I'll address RC, since you mentioned that you needed help with this.

When you start practicing this section, take notes (especially for those long passages!). Our tutors give test takers the following advice on RC: "Since more than 95% of all correct answers for Main Idea and Structure questions come from the first two sentences of the paragraphs, your first step is to read the first two sentences of each paragraph and take notes on each. Make sure you only paraphrase and do not copy everything word-for-word. The point is is to get a brief summary of what you have read.Pay attention to any of sentences that have opposition conjunctions like however, but and although.

This should be enough for a general mapping of the text and should help you locate many of the detail-related questions.

Before you get the hang of note-taking, don't worry about timing. Your timing will improve as you practice. Most people complain about the fact that note-taking takes more time, but in the end, it will actually save you time and make you more precise."

Lastly, do you keep an error log? If not, I recommend that you start doing so, especially as you enter the final month of prepping. This will organize your thoughts and help you identify your weaknesses and your approach to questions that you answered incorrectly. That way, it'll be easier for you to adjust and improve on those sections.

Best of luck on exam day!

Jessica
The Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
https://econgm.at/freetrial7

by nishaant » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:32 am
Thanks for the golden advice Jessica!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:54 am
Hi Nishant,

Here's another thing you should do as you approach the final month of your preparation.

Focus mostly on mock tests. Now, if you spend 2 hours on mock test, spend 4-6 hours on just analysing the exam. Identifying what went right, what did not go so right and what went wrong.

You will realise that you will start learning very soon on how to optimize your score.

Wish you all the best for GMAT.

by nishaant » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:07 pm
Thanks a lot Manya!!!