Scratch Paper / Noteboards?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Scratch Paper / Noteboards?

by tr1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:34 am
Hi everybody,

this question might seem trivial for some, but I'd feel better knowing this before the test as I'm currently using a lot of scratch paper during practice tests: What materials are provided for taking notes during the test?

I see noteboards mentioned a lot - not being a native speaker, I can not find a definitive translation of that. Also, some prep articles mention scratch paper.

I'd be glad if someone could clear this up for me!

Best,
Tim

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:02 am
Hi Tim,

You can see the "official" noteboard and pen at 3:18 in the following GMAC video about the testing center: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJkq-Rm7bxE

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by tr1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:08 am
Thanks a lot Brent, this clears it all up for me! :)

By the way, I'm currently following your video course. Amazing teaching, I hope I can report a great result next weekend!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:11 am
Hi tr1,

Thanks for the kind words about our course.
All the best on your test!

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:22 pm
Hi tr1,

The following image, while not an exact match to the "real thing" is a close enough approximation.

https://www.afewgoodminds.com/wp-content ... tchpad.jpg

The pad is legal-pad-sized, 6-sheets, double-sided (the front "half" of the first sheet consists of instructions) and spiral bound at the top. The pad is also lined, so you can easily take notes, draw pictures, etc. on it.

At any point during the exam, you ask for a new pad, but you must surrender your old one. Rather than exchange pads while the test is running, it is best to hand in your pad during the break, so that you aren't waiting for someone to bring you the pad while you're in the middle of a section.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by iongmat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:03 pm
Also I think some test prep companies sell these things, if you want to make yourself supremely comfortable. For example, I believe MGMAT sells it.

You might want to consider buying it, if you are too nervous about it. Though as you mentioned, it is really a trivial thing.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:192 members
GMAT Score:780

by Bill@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:18 pm
iongmat wrote:Also I think some test prep companies sell these things, if you want to make yourself supremely comfortable. For example, I believe MGMAT sells it.

You might want to consider buying it, if you are too nervous about it. Though as you mentioned, it is really a trivial thing.
It is such a small detail, but I think it is worth practicing with it ahead of time.
Join Veritas Prep's 2010 Instructor of the Year, Matt Douglas for GMATT Mondays

Visit the Veritas Prep Blog

Try the FREE Veritas Prep Practice Test

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:05 pm
Hi tr1,

Bill brings up a valid point - if you're looking to make your practice CATs as realistic as possible, then you may want to purchase a replica of the yellow pad and marker. If you don't want to spend that money, here's a cheap alternative....

Take 6 sheets of yellow 'legal pad' paper, staple it across the top and use a thin-tip marker for your notes. It won't be a perfect match, but it should give you a sense of the space limits and function of notebook that's spiral-bound at the top.

Rich

by bablu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:17 am
Hi All,

What '[email protected]' had written in this thread about scratch paper is still valid with new format of GMAT in 2015? Can we ask for as many scratch pads as we want to?

Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:23 am
Can we ask for as many scratch pads as we want to?
The policy hasn't changed - just know that you'll only get one scratch pad at a time. Once you've completed one, you can raise your hand, and they'll exchange your old pad for a new one. (So try to do this between sections, if possible, so you don't have to waste any exam time.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:26 am
Hi bablu,

Yes, the Testing Centers still use the same laminated sheets and markers that they've used before. Some Centers outside of the US might offer different items to work with, but that would not be the norm. If you're genuinely concerned about this issue, then you should contact your Testing Center directly and ask (in theory, you could even visit the Center in advance and ask to see what you'll be working with on Test Day).

As a Test Taker, I always swap my pads during the 'breaks' - at that point, you'll be far less dependent on the Center Staff responding to your needs quickly (as the Staff has to assist ALL of the Test Takers with their needs).

Rich

by bablu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:31 pm
Thank you David & Rich.