Scotch

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

Scotch

by reply2spg » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:05 am
The world's finest single-malt whiskies come from the highland of Scotland. If the quality of the blended whisky derives from the quality of its component ingredients, then MacDuff's whisky must be the finest whisky in the world, because it blends no fewer than five Scotland's finest single-malt whiskies.

The argument above could be seriously weaken if which of the followin were true?

A. The more single-malt whiskies involved in the batch of blended whisky, the finer the quality of whisky.

B. Whereas many of MacDuff's competitors have been in industry for decades or even century, the MacDuff brand was created within the last decade by marketing committee.

C. Including more than five single-malt whiskies in a blended whisky is a waste, because no one can taste that many component flavors.

D. A blended whisky is as fine as the average quality of its components.

E. The concept of "finest" in a whisky is a subjective measure that cannot be quantified in a statistically valid way.

OA Later
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Prashantbhardwaj » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:22 am
It feels like a close tie between C and D.

But the Argument tells that the quality of the whisky is derived from its components. But not about how it is derived.

As option D helps me find out how that derivation works and the result thus will be opposite two what the author states here.

D is the answer.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:13 am
Prashantbhardwaj wrote:D is the answer.
You are right
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by FightWithGMAT » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:50 am
reply2spg wrote:The world's finest single-malt whiskies come from the highland of Scotland. If the quality of the blended whisky derives from the quality of its component ingredients, then MacDuff's whisky must be the finest whisky in the world, because it blends no fewer than five Scotland's finest single-malt whiskies.

The argument above could be seriously weaken if which of the followin were true?

A. The more single-malt whiskies involved in the batch of blended whisky, the finer the quality of whisky.

B. Whereas many of MacDuff's competitors have been in industry for decades or even century, the MacDuff brand was created within the last decade by marketing committee.

C. Including more than five single-malt whiskies in a blended whisky is a waste, because no one can taste that many component flavors.

E. The concept of "finest" in a whisky is a subjective measure that cannot be quantified in a statistically valid way.

OA Later
I did not get this question.

Can somebody explain the why the credited answer is correct?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by paes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:04 pm
IMO D

simple :

You are mixing 5 components with rating : 4 5 6 7 8 -to make new component A

So avg rating = 6

D says : rating of the new component A = avg rating = 6

clearly 6 < 10, so it is not the best.

by SmarpanGamt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:47 pm
FightWithGMAT wrote:
reply2spg wrote:The world's finest single-malt whiskies come from the highland of Scotland. If the quality of the blended whisky derives from the quality of its component ingredients, then MacDuff's whisky must be the finest whisky in the world, because it blends no fewer than five Scotland's finest single-malt whiskies.

OA Later

I did not get this question.

Can somebody explain the why the credited answer is correct?
My method of reasoning was
Conclusion " MacDuff's whisky must be the finest whisky in the world, because it blends no fewer than five Scotland's finest single-malt whiskies"

How can finest be average : If 5 finest malt whisky make one average blend whisky , option D suggest fine blended whisky is an average qaulity, than finest Macduff whisky is not a finest whisky - that is not the conclusion.

Thanks for posting this question : Now I can make difference in BP and JD. JD is Single malt premium stoch and BP is blended whisky.:)

by FightWithGMAT » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:39 am
paes wrote:IMO D

simple :

So avg rating = 6

Hey Thanks Man!!!
Awesome is your maths!!! I got the clue from ur explanation :)

Actually, the argument says that quality of a blend is proportional to that of its components.

D denies this, saying that such proportionality does not exists.
Rather
quality of a blend is linked to the AVERAGE of the qualities of its components.

by FightWithGMAT » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:41 am
FightWithGMAT wrote:

simple :

So avg rating = 6

Hey Thanks Man!!!
Awesome is your maths!!! I got the clue from ur explanation :)

Actually, the argument says that quality of a blend is proportional to that of its components.

D denies this, saying that such proportionality does not exists.
Rather
quality of a blend is linked to the AVERAGE of the qualities of its components.
GMAC... you are very tricky the way you phrase questions and answer choices.

by ikaplan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:57 am
I was stuck between C and D. I read the question again and I try to find out why I should have eliminated C in the first place. The stem says 'no fewer than 5'. It means exactly 5 but not less right? If the latter is true, than C can be eliminated for exaggeration (more than five is out of scope). I would be grateful if someone can clarify my reasoning.
"Commitment is more than just wishing for the right conditions. Commitment is working with what you have."

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:11 am
Could u pls reveal the source ?

by ov25 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:33 pm
@ikaplan
it is critical to distinguish between world's finesh whiskies (WFWs) and finesh whisky in the world (FWW)

WFWs come from scotland.

The new whiskey blends =5 or greater than 5 of WFWs.

The assumption here is FWW is rated > WFW's each are.
Assumption 2 is that the 5 or more that were blended to get FWW, have top rating among all WFWs.

Best case scenario, If =5, even if all the 5 WFWs are rated 10/10, FWW=10
>5 can only get worser.

Thanks

by prashant misra » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:48 am
i was confused between C and D but i chose the wrong answer option C.i am still not getting it cna anyone please explain it to me in more detail.

Followed by:4 members

by thestartupguy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:02 pm
IMO D

OA Later

Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:39 pm
Very easy one. IMO D. For two reason:

If 5 finest whiskies have different rank. The average will lower than the highest rank.

If 5 finest whiskies have same rank. For example, #1, why they did not sell 5 different whiskies rather than combine them.

Followed by:5 members

by tuanquang269 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:42 pm
edirik wrote:Sorry but I did not understand how you get to the 10. Mean is 6 Ok, but how do you come up with the 10?

simple :

So avg rating = 6

Nope, 6<8. He type error :D