Scored only Q49 V21 after 2 months of hard work

This topic has 2 expert replies and 5 member replies
BHARATSINGH55 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posted:
6 messages

Scored only Q49 V21 after 2 months of hard work

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:26 pm
Hi,
I have started my prep 3 months back. Jan-16(2 weeks break in between)
Below is my performances.
Gmat Prep-01 Q46 V17 End Jan'16
Gmat Prep 01 Q47 V19 End Feb'16
Gmat Prep-02 Q49 V21 31st Mar'16

I have completed quant from Mahatam prep guides and Verbal from Aristotle grail.
Also took additional help on Verbal from Jamboree (3 class).
I did all the OG questions timed/untimed to speed up and understand. I always miss 5-7 questions with few incorrect as well.

I need opinion and help to improve my Verbal score. I will not be satisfied or stop struggling until i score V38-40.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Top Reply
Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:17 am
Hi BHARATSING55,

With a score goal of 720, you'll need to made some BIG improvements to how you handle the entire Verbal section. Raising your Quant Scaled Score to a Q50 or Q51 would provide a small increase to your overall score, but you'll need to focus heavily on all 3 Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR) to hit your score goal in a month - and that will challenging.

To that end, since you've been studying for 3 months, re-using materials that you've already completed will probably not make a big difference UNLESS you learn/practice some new Tactics. Your CAT scores were remarkably consistent, which means that you continue to make certain mistakes again-and-again; this implies that you've developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits').

1) Do you have the flexibility to push back your Test Date beyond the first week of May?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Top Member

Top Reply
Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:35 pm
BHARATSINGH55 wrote:
Thanks Marty,
You have very well explained the fact which probably i was ignoring while trying to achieve the speed . I need to analyse each question and develop skills in strategy of answering the question.
Please can you suggest what material would be the best to start analysing the questions and understanding the right approach to attempt the question. Do you think OG question again would be the right start.

Thanks
Maybe before redoing the OG questions, which is a good idea given that could handle them in a way much different from the one in which you handled them before, you could use another resource, so that you don't use up the nice tight OG questions before you are ready to see what's going on in them.

One such resource is the Veritas Question Bank. https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/ While Veritas uses the question bank partly for testing new questions and not every question in it is great, there are some really good questions in it, and you could make some progress by using them. Then, having gotten better at seeing logic and details and after having refined your processes some, you could go back to the OG questions.

As you do this, notice what you are doing. Did you really look hard to find the logic of a question? Did you have a good reason to eliminate an answer choice? Did you clearly understand the conclusion of an argument before going to the answer choices? In RC, did you determine what the passage actually says, as opposed to what you initially thought that it said?

Solid processes are the way to right answers.

http://infinitemindprep.com/
In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:17 am
Hi BHARATSING55,

With a score goal of 720, you'll need to made some BIG improvements to how you handle the entire Verbal section. Raising your Quant Scaled Score to a Q50 or Q51 would provide a small increase to your overall score, but you'll need to focus heavily on all 3 Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR) to hit your score goal in a month - and that will challenging.

To that end, since you've been studying for 3 months, re-using materials that you've already completed will probably not make a big difference UNLESS you learn/practice some new Tactics. Your CAT scores were remarkably consistent, which means that you continue to make certain mistakes again-and-again; this implies that you've developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix (and replace with new 'good habits').

1) Do you have the flexibility to push back your Test Date beyond the first week of May?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Top Member

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:35 pm
BHARATSINGH55 wrote:
Thanks Marty,
You have very well explained the fact which probably i was ignoring while trying to achieve the speed . I need to analyse each question and develop skills in strategy of answering the question.
Please can you suggest what material would be the best to start analysing the questions and understanding the right approach to attempt the question. Do you think OG question again would be the right start.

Thanks
Maybe before redoing the OG questions, which is a good idea given that could handle them in a way much different from the one in which you handled them before, you could use another resource, so that you don't use up the nice tight OG questions before you are ready to see what's going on in them.

One such resource is the Veritas Question Bank. https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/ While Veritas uses the question bank partly for testing new questions and not every question in it is great, there are some really good questions in it, and you could make some progress by using them. Then, having gotten better at seeing logic and details and after having refined your processes some, you could go back to the OG questions.

As you do this, notice what you are doing. Did you really look hard to find the logic of a question? Did you have a good reason to eliminate an answer choice? Did you clearly understand the conclusion of an argument before going to the answer choices? In RC, did you determine what the passage actually says, as opposed to what you initially thought that it said?

Solid processes are the way to right answers.

http://infinitemindprep.com/
In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
MBAPrepCoach Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posted:
13 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Upvotes:
Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:08 am
Sorry to hear this, Bharat, you must be feeling pretty deflated after 3 months of diligent work.
Frankly, it is impossible for anyone to know how to advise you from this information. I would need to understand your current approach for each question type and teach you how to break things down.
I will say that I think many students are quite delayed in their progress by working with materials that are subpar. I feel that you will want to stick to OG and maybe Kaplan. Keep in mind, it really does *not* matter if you remember the answers. Those questions won't be on the test. You want to create a model for approaching this type of question on test day. Do get in touch if you would like to speak further.
Farrell

BHARATSINGH55 wrote:
Hi,
I have started my prep 3 months back. Jan-16(2 weeks break in between)
Below is my performances.
Gmat Prep-01 Q46 V17 End Jan'16
Gmat Prep 01 Q47 V19 End Feb'16
Gmat Prep-02 Q49 V21 31st Mar'16

I have completed quant from Mahatam prep guides and Verbal from Aristotle grail.
Also took additional help on Verbal from Jamboree (3 class).
I did all the OG questions timed/untimed to speed up and understand. I always miss 5-7 questions with few incorrect as well.

I need opinion and help to improve my Verbal score. I will not be satisfied or stop struggling until i score V38-40.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks

"You don't often come across people who are as perceptive and also genuinely empathetic." - EM. NYC

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
6 messages
Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:10 am
Hi Rich,
Thanks for your response.

I took too long to conclude what you have said, that i need to practice and develop tactics. I understood the concept but right application is completely missing.

My goal score is 720.
My target to take GMAT is in end of April or worst case 1st week of May but I will only appear for GMAT when i score an average of 720 in atleast 5 out of 8 Gmat practice tests. Out of there 4 weeks i need 3-4 days to brush my weakness in quant to try achieve Q50.

As you said i need new material. Will OG/OG Verbal review/ Manhattan /Aristotle grail, which i already have, not sufficient.

what do you suggest will work best for me.

Thanks

Bharat

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
6 messages
Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:58 am
Thanks Marty,

Thanks

Last edited by BHARATSINGH55 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 120 topics
2 ardz24 65 topics
3 LUANDATO 63 topics
4 swerve 61 topics
5 AAPL 59 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

186 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

171 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

147 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

133 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

128 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts