scored a 640 : please suggest some options

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

scored a 640 : please suggest some options

by arrastra » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:19 pm
Hi, I scored a 640 (q43v35) yesterday and I am very disappointed. Specialy after scoring 740 in my last mock attempt.I have no idea how I ruined my quant section.Please suggest how should I take up things from here.I want to apply to universities in Canada such as sauder,schulich.Should I go ahead with my applications or should I take the test again.(I already took it twice. 1st attempt : 580)
Also please suggest some other programs which may be suitable for my profile( 4 yrs of work exp in Sap testing and quality).
Thanks in advance!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:59 am
Hi,

Don't feel disappointed about your score, also tell us about your academics, you can compensate low GMAT with strong academics. Now its time for you to work on your applications and build strong case with solid essays. Ideally you should target minimum 5 schools to increase your chances. You can also target schools like McGill, Rotman, HEC Montreal, Univ of Calgary. Try B-School Selector tool to shortlist B-schools based on your profile by clicking here https://goo.gl/ocaeu6

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com
arrastra wrote:Hi, I scored a 640 (q43v35) yesterday and I am very disappointed. Specialy after scoring 740 in my last mock attempt.I have no idea how I ruined my quant section.Please suggest how should I take up things from here.I want to apply to universities in Canada such as sauder,schulich.Should I go ahead with my applications or should I take the test again.(I already took it twice. 1st attempt : 580)
Also please suggest some other programs which may be suitable for my profile( 4 yrs of work exp in Sap testing and quality).
Thanks in advance!!

Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:52 pm
arrastra,

The average GMAT score at sauder and schulich is in the range 640-660. So, you are not off as far as GMAT score is concerned. For these schools, your GMAT score is fine. As suggested by Manish, you should rather focus on your essays and rest of the application, which will mainly determine your candidature.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by arrastra » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:10 pm
Hi ,
Thanks for your response.
My overall profile looks like this
Gmat: 640(Q43 V35);580
B.Tech in ECE with 64% as per the conversion rate of GPA of my university
XII-66.4%
xth-81%
4.3 yrs of work ex with an Indian MNC in SAP testing and quality (Quit job in April this year and do not have a legitimate work experience after that )

Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:33 pm
Your GPA isn't high, so you need to have some coherent story (say, percentile in the undergrad class etc.) explaining that you're a fit candidate on the academic scale. You also need to explain the gap in your employment (since April) in your essays.

Since there are few things which are not in your favor, you need to bring out other parts of your profile such as work experience and extracurricular activities strongly.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:12 am
I would suggest for you to retake the GMAT considering you are applying more from the competitive Indian-male applicant group.

Have a great weekend,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.