Scored 680 on second attempt-please help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Scored 680 on second attempt-please help

by karthikpe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:01 pm
Hi,

In my first attempt I scored 640 q45 v28 . In my second attempt scored 680 q50 v31 . In practice test 3 and 4 in gmat prep software I scored 690 and 710.
My target schools are Cambridge, Oxford , Hec Paris. Is it worth taking the gmat again and try and score above 700 or can I go ahead and apply with this score to these schools.

I have about 3.5 years of experience in big four consulting firm. Also I have about 1.5 years of international experience in UK and US.

Thanks,
Karthik

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:22 pm
Hi Karthik,

First off, 680/Q50 is a fantastic score (it's right around the 85th percentile overall), so it could very well be enough to get you into your first-choice School. GMAC has publicly stated that a Test Taker's Official Score is within about +-30 points of actual ability - and all of your scores are essentially within range of about a 680. This is all meant to say that the Tests were fairly accurate.

Since you're ultimately asking Admissions questions, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:41 am
Hi Karthik.

680 may be plenty.

If not, realize that with a 49+ quant score you could score well above 700 by just getting a half dozen more verbal questions right.

There are probably some key flaws in the way you are handling verbal questions. So with the right approach, one that finds and fixes flaws in your processes, you may be able to push your verbal score up much higher without all that much work.

So there's something to consider.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.