scholarship

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

scholarship

by j_shreyans » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:50 am
Each year, a college admissions committee grants a certain number of $10,000 scholarships, $5,000 scholarships, and $1,000 scholarships. The number of scholarships granted at each level does not vary from year to year, and no student can receive more than one scholarship. This year, how many different ways can the committee distribute the scholarships among the pool of 10 applicants?

(1) In total, six scholarships will be granted.

(2) An equal number of scholarships will be granted at each scholarship level.

OAC

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:08 am
Each year, a college admissions committee grants a certain number of $10,000 scholarships, $5,000 scholarships, and $1,000 scholarships. The number of scholarships granted at each level does not vary from year to year, and no student can receive more than one scholarship. This year, how many different ways can the committee distribute the scholarships among the pool of 10 applicants?

(1) In total, six scholarships will be granted.

(2) An equal number of scholarships will be granted at each scholarship level.
This is a PIECES-OF-THE-PUZZLE question.
Don't solve.
Determine whether there is SUFFICIENT information to solve.

Statement 1: In total, six scholarships will be granted.
A piece is missing: Are the scholarships all of the SAME type or of DIFFERENT types?
Without this information, we cannot determine the number of ways to distribute the scholarships.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: An equal number of scholarships will be granted at each scholarship level.
A piece is missing: How MANY of each type are being granted?
Without this information, we cannot determine the number of ways to distribute the scholarships.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statements 1 and 2 together:
Now we have ALL OF THE PIECES of the puzzle: two of each type of scholarship are being granted.
Thus, the total number of possible distributions can be determined.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3