Scared/Stressed out/worried

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Scared/Stressed out/worried

by BBJ » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:23 am
i'm sure im not alone in this but i gotta be honest, as much as i try to tell myself i'll do fine, it'll be okay... i still stress over it. I've already taken my GMAT exam once and i wasn't feeling good that morning at all. I couldn't even sleep that night so i was up all night practicing! So you can imagine how bad my first exam went lol :oops:

I noticed the more i do that, the more i score low on the practice exams lol :(
any suggestions on how to overcome it?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:33 pm
BBJ:

Try to keep some perspective--remember, this is just a stupid test that really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Yes it is one factor considered in your MBA candidacy, but it's just one of SEVERAL. A weak GMAT score doesn't mean it will keep you out of your desired school.

Also, think about the broader perspective. The GMAT is not a predictor of your future business success, happiness in life, or core intelligence. It's just an annoying standardized test that you have to deal with for a brief period of time, that's it.

The GMAT isn't worth stressing about. Try to keep the big picture in mind, do your best, and move on!

Good luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by BBJ » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:36 am
Thank you so much! You're right, i should just deal with it and face it!
Thanks again Eric :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_Tatiana » Thu May 08, 2008 9:14 pm
I used to have terrible test anxiety in college. At one point, I actually went to a counselor at student health services to help me with it. That didn't work.

What I found DID work was to change my frame of thinking, to think of a test as a fun opportunity to tackle the kinds of problems I enjoy. In undergrad, all I did was stress about grades, and I got a 3.5. In grad school, I concentrate on the learning and I have a 3.7... and I am enjoying school so much more!

I hope that helps. You should figure out a long-term solution to the test anxiety, so that you can get the most out of grad school as well.

Best wishes,

Tatiana
Tatiana Becker | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue May 13, 2008 9:57 am
Hey BBJ,
We all go through exam anxiety, so remember you are not alone! And dont forget, schools look at the top score, so consider yourself working off a clean slate!

I remember those days of practice exams when my scores got lower and lower. I was a perfect example of diminishing returns! But don't worry, I am sure you will rock the real test!

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Lwilliams » Wed May 21, 2008 12:36 pm
hey BBJ,
... have you already taken the 'real' test? I just wanted to share with you that I do very poorly on tests. I've never been a fan of being so called 'tested' on something. I have realized it's not possible to get around testing altogether, so I seem to always over-prepare, and since I don't like time limits, I go through the test quickly the first time, answer everything I'm 100% on, then go through again & again if necessary (and if time permits)
Best of Luck ...
crystal employee awards have become a popular choice for recognition