Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

SC question

This topic has 4 member replies
jamesk486 Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
Posted:
141 messages
SC question Post Wed May 30, 2007 4:29 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

A.
    B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.
    C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.
    D. Executives' being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.
    E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    drhomler Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    141 messages
    Post Wed May 30, 2007 4:43 am
    I vote B.

I think B is more clear than A, and the "has worked" is unecessary where the simple past tense "worked" is more concise and still grammatically correct.

discreet Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Posted:
    69 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Post Wed May 30, 2007 5:20 am
    I think its between A & E.

I vote for E,
    Though "Being" is not recommended for GMAT,I think its in the right format here.
    In the original sentence(choice A),the referrent it is a bit ambigous(not clear if its referring to action or the heavy commitment) and also the second "it" has no clear referrent...I hope I am interpretting it correctly.

In choice D, again the referrent them is a bit ambigous for me
    Choice C appears to alter the meaning,"it" is ambigous and seems to refer to trouble!
    Choice B uses an awakward construction - "makes missing signs of ...."

In my opinion,its either A or E...I vote for E as the referrents are in the correct order,Being is used in the right format...Please correct me if I am wrong

jayhawk2001 Community Manager
    Posted:
    789 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Post Wed May 30, 2007 5:32 pm
    jamesk486 wrote:
    Heavy commitment by an executive to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes it likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.

A.
    B. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that worked well in the past, makes missing signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting ones likely when they do appear.
    C. An executive who is heavily committed to a course of action is likely to miss or misinterpret signs of incipient trouble when they do appear, especially if it has worked well in the past.
    D. Executives' being heavily committed to a course of action, especially if it has worked well in the past, makes them likely to miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpreting them when they do appear.
    E. Being heavily committed to a course of action, especially one that has worked well in the past, is likely to make an executive miss signs of incipient trouble or misinterpret them when they do appear.
    Argh...hate the long ones Smile

A. "it has worked ... , makes it likely" different referents for it. Ambiguous.
    B. "one" - does it refer to commitment or executive? "makes" is awkward
    C. "they do appear ... if it has worked" - incorrect pronouns to refer back
    D. Executives being committed...awkward.

E. Though it uses the dreaded "being", it looks least ambiguous. pronouns
    look ok.

Vote for E.

OA please.

mv12 Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    150 messages
    Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:29 pm
    +1 for E

Best Conversation Starters

1 lukaswelker 62 topics
    2 mukherjee.tanuj3@... 43 topics