SC question from OG #90

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

SC question from OG #90

by boston_mba » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:03 pm
Question #90 from OG, 11th edition, soln on page 701

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them;the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are known as "standing waves".

A. ...

B. crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are

C. crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is

D. stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

E. stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

My answer was E.

But the OA is C.

What's wrong with E? Passive voice? I thought it was succinct and concise.

Wait a minute - I think I get it now. Is it because rapidly is an adverb and it's followed by "moving air", a adjective + noun? But adverb can modify adjectives right?

I thought I had it - ok, back to square 1. sometimes I just don't get this stuff :).

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:09 pm
stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air
The problem with (e) is the "although they are formed..." part. Without "that are stationary", the although phrase just doesn't make sense in the sentence. ".. rapidly moving air" is just fine.

We want to contrast "stationary" with "rapidly moving air", (e) doesn't present that contrast clearly.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by Kaunteya1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:05 pm
One thing that strikes me right away with the answer choices is the "are known as" vs. "is known as". Well what are known as? In this case the subject is "the resulting flow pattern", and easy way to see this is the that the main part of the underlined section is in between comma's and is extra information and the sentence can read "the resulting flow pattern....is known as. Therefore choose "is known as" rather than "are known as". The resulting flow pattern is singular. Right away you have gotten rid of answer choices A, B & D.

Now what differs between C and E. "Although the air that forms...." and "although they are formed by". What is "they" refering to? Is they refering to stationary crests and troughs (as in E) or the resulting flow pattern. C clears up any ambiguities to what they refers to, and makes the sentence clearer, than E. C is the best choice.

Honestly all the answer choices suck but as I was told by Manhattan GMAT instructors "you have to choose the cream of the crap" in SC.

Good Luck
Kaunteya

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:17 pm
Kaunteya1 wrote:One thing that strikes me right away with the answer choices is the "are known as" vs. "is known as". Well what are known as? In this case the subject is "the resulting flow pattern", and easy way to see this is the that the main part of the underlined section is in between comma's and is extra information and the sentence can read "the resulting flow pattern....is known as. Therefore choose "is known as" rather than "are known as". The resulting flow pattern is singular. Right away you have gotten rid of answer choices A, B & D.

Now what differs between C and E. "Although the air that forms...." and "although they are formed by". What is "they" refering to? Is they refering to stationary crests and troughs (as in E) or the resulting flow pattern. C clears up any ambiguities to what they refers to, and makes the sentence clearer, than E. C is the best choice.

Honestly all the answer choices suck but as I was told by Manhattan GMAT instructors "you have to choose the cream of the crap" in SC.

Good Luck
Kaunteya
I strongly disagree that all the answers suck. I also disagree that we need to choose the best of a bad bunch in SC.

(c) is a perfectly fine answer. The "them" in (c) (which is pretty much equivalent to the "they" in (e), by the way) clearly refers to BOTH the crests and troughs.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by sachin.ranjit » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:43 pm
as mentioned by Kaunteya (a), (b) and (d) can be gotten rid of.

Now for (c) and (e) lets compare them.

(E) -- There is redundancy.

The sentence can be written as

1. stationary crests and troughs although formed by rapidly moving air or 2. stationary crests and troughs that are formed by rapidly moving air.

but not "stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is".

hence the best answer choise in (c).

This analysis is completely based on my experience and it is not thru any book. So i donot vouch by it :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat765 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:51 pm
I also chosed E.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

answer Q90, OG

by thang » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:19 am
before although clause, there must be a clause,

do you have sentence correction bible, pls email to me, I am in vietnam, a country which do not use english, so I can not buy the book, Please, help

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by farooq » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:37 am
boston_mba wrote:Question #90 from OG, 11th edition, soln on page 701

The peaks of a mountain range, acting like rocks in a streambed, produce ripples in the air flowing over them;the resulting flow pattern, with crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are known as "standing waves".

A. ...

B. crests and troughs that remain stationary although they are formed by rapidly moving air, are

C. crests and troughs that remain stationary although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, is

D. stationary crests and troughs although the air that forms them is moving rapidly, are

E. stationary crests and troughs although they are formed by rapidly moving air, is

My answer was E.

But the OA is C.

What's wrong with E? Passive voice? I thought it was succinct and concise.

Wait a minute - I think I get it now. Is it because rapidly is an adverb and it's followed by "moving air", a adjective + noun? But adverb can modify adjectives right?

I thought I had it - ok, back to square 1. sometimes I just don't get this stuff :).
Subject-Verb agreement.

So we can easily eliminate A, B, and D.

C or E?

"crests and troughs that remain stationary" or "stationary crests and troughs "

There is difference between " stationary things" and "things that remains stationary..."

although introduces sub-ordinate clause. But in E there is no main clause for "although they are formed by rapidly moving ". (If my understanding is incorrect, please do correct it)

C is the right answer.
Regards,
Farooq Farooqui.
London. UK

It is your Attitude, not your Aptitude, that determines your Altitude.

by manihar.sidharth » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:27 am
I have a simple questions.
Why does "them" in the second clause cannot refer to "ripples" in the first clause ?

Followed by:2 members

by bonetlobo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:05 am
manihar.sidharth wrote:I have a simple questions.
Why does "them" in the second clause cannot refer to "ripples" in the first clause ?
I am thinking that you are referring to "them" in the underlined portion. "ripples" actually appears "before" the semicolon.

So, I feel "them" cannot refer to "ripples". I somehow feel that a pronoun after the semicolon cannot refer to the noun before the semicolon. Can an expert verify this.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:10 am
manihar.sidharth wrote:I have a simple questions.
C: with CRESTS AND TROUGHS that remain stationary although THE AIR THAT FORMS THEM is moving rapidly
This modifier is clearly expressing a contrast between CRESTS AND TROUGHS and THE AIR THAT FORMS THEM, with them serving to refer to crests and troughs.
No reasonable reader would construe that them serves to refer to ripples, a noun in the preceding clause.
I somehow feel that a pronoun after the semicolon cannot refer to the noun before the semicolon. Can an expert verify this.
A pronoun after a semi-colon can serve to refer to a noun preceding the semi-colon, but this construction is rare.
SC105 in the OG13:
Marconi conceived of the RADIO as a tool for private conversation; instead, IT has become precisely the opposite.
Here, IT (a pronoun after the semi-colon) serves to refer to RADIO (a noun preceding the semi-colon).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3