SC : Predicted that...

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

SC : Predicted that...

by nsuen » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:24 pm
Hi all,

I have a question about the below SC that I could't understand the explanation:

When I look at the split, I eliminated A and D because I thought with the word that, the following will be an essential modifier, such as the cat that lives next door is very noisy but the explanation said B& C are wrong because (B) In this version of the sentence, "just as..." illogically connects the first two clauses, rather than the last two. In other words, this wording suggests a comparison between the analysts' act of predicting and the growth of democracy -- an illogical comparison.

Anyone has another explanation to target this question, I am not quite following because I thought the " that" is not necessary in the first place. Thank you.

Q: Many analysts have predicted that, just as the growth of democracy has generally followed industrial development in other nations, democratic institutions will soon flourish in China.

A. predicted that, just as the growth of democracy has generally followed industrial development in other nations, democratic institutions will soon flourish
B. predicted, just as democracy has generally grown following other nations' industrial development, that democratic institutions will soon flourish
C. predicted, just as the growth of democracy generally following industrial development in other nations, that democratic institutions will soon be flourishing
D. predicted that, just as democracy has generally grown after other nations' industrial development, that democratic institutions will soon be flourishing
E. been predicting that, just as the general growth of democracy following other nations' industrial development, democratic institutions will soon flourish
Hide Explanation

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:33 am
The modifier beginning with JUST AS switches positions in options B and C. When modifiers change position, you should be on the lookout for MEANING changes.

If JUST AS comes after PREDICTED, it's modifying the way in which analysts predicted: "analysts predicted, just as other people predicted..."

We want the idea that "growth of democracy generally follows industrial growth" to modify the idea that "analysts predict that democratic institutions will soon flourish in China." Therefore, the correct placement of the modifier is after THAT, rather than PREDICTED.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education