SC-76, OG 13th edition.

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

SC-76, OG 13th edition.

by NaimaB » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:49 am
OG 13th Edition.

76. Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(E) appeared to have been equipped or facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,

I could cancel option A and E on the basis of 'equipped for' but after that, got confused among option B, C and D. I chose option D ( simple past 'appeared' and plural 'paths') , which is wrong.

I want some help to clear the concept.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:49 pm
Hi NaimaB,

In this SC, it's important to think about the "logic" behind the ideas that are presented. Since Neanderthals lived in the past, we can talk about the activities that they did in the past. The "assessment" of the Neanderthal is done in the PRESENT though. Theoretically, there could be past assessments of the Neanderthal (for example, an old idea or theory from the 1900s), but the word "INDICATES" (in the back half of the sentence) tells us that we're dealing with ideas that are in the present tense.

With the above information, we can immediately eliminate D and E.

With the remaining options, we can now focus on what the Neanderthal did IN THE PAST. Answers A and C don't include the necessary past tense verb(s) that we need (they also use the word "as" incorrectly).

Final Answer: B

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by NaimaB » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:14 pm
Hi,
[email protected] wrote:
With the remaining options, we can now focus on what the Neanderthal did IN THE PAST. Answers A and C don't include the necessary past tense verb(s) that we need (they also use the word "as" incorrectly).
I did not get the point you made about past tense verbs. Would appreciate much if you please explain it in more detail.

Can I solve the problem in the following way without considering the 'tense' factor?

- Cross off A, C and D for incorrect use of 'as'.
- Cross off E on the basis of 'equipped for'

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:23 am
Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(A) appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(B) appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
(C) appear as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(D) appeared as equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their paths,
(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path,
In English, we have two infinitive tenses: the present infinitive (TO + VERB) and the perfect infinitive (TO + HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE).

The present infinitive expresses CONTEMPORANEOUS action (an action happening AT THE SAME TIME as the main action):
John IS proud TO BE president.
Here, John IS proud (in the present) TO BE president (also in the present).

The perfect infinitive expresses PRIOR action (an action that happened PRIOR to the main action):
John IS proud TO HAVE BEEN president.
Here, John IS proud (in the present) TO HAVE BEEN president (in the past).

One definition of to appear is to seem.
The intention of the SC above is to discuss WHAT SEEMS TO BE TRUE about the Neanderthals.
The Neanderthals appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle..
Here, the Neanderthals APPEAR (in other words, they SEEM -- right now, in the present) TO HAVE BEEN EQUIPPED (in the past).

Only B offers the needed construction.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:07 pm
Hi NaimaB,

YES, you can eliminate the 4 incorrect answers for the reasons that you listed. One of the interesting aspects of most SCs is that they're usually based on 2-4 grammar rules each. Knowing 2 of the rules is usually enough to help you eliminate the wrong answers and find the correct one (although you sometimes need to know a 3rd rule to get the answer).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]