sales up to one-fourth of its stores ..

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:21 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: If the verb attributed to which can be SINGULAR OR PLURAL, then which must serve to refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN.
a quick question on the above quote -- does this always hold TRUE on GMAT ? i mean, does it have to be only NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN ?
To my knowledge, no OA from GMAC has violated this rule.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:30 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: Outside the GMAT -- especially in a news article -- a reporting verb may be followed by a future tense verb:
Mayor X announced that he will seek reelection next year.
While this sort of sentence is unlikely to appear on the GMAT, I would not eliminate A simply because of the usage of will.
so basically,a reporting verb that is followed by a simple future tense verb doesn't constitute an ERROR on GMAT. am i correct ?

p.s: the example you shared in one of your above posts, SC79 in the OG for Verbal:
The computer company has announced that it will purchase the color-printing division of a rival company. -- reporting verb is followed by a simple future tense in the non-underlined portion of the SC.
As the OA here illustrates, a reporting verb such as has announced can be followed by a simple future tense verb such as will purchase.
Here, the reporting verb is in not the past tense but the present perfect tense.
As noted in my post above, It is unlikely that an OA will feature a past tense reporting verb followed by a future tense verb.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ngk4mba3236 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:26 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: If the verb attributed to which can be SINGULAR OR PLURAL, then which must serve to refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN.
a quick question on the above quote -- does this always hold TRUE on GMAT ? i mean, does it have to be only NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN ?
ok. so,you meant that it MUST have to be only NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN, BUT it can NOT be NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN-Phrase.

did i get you right ?

by ngk4mba3236 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:00 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote: As the OA here illustrates, a reporting verb such as has announced can be followed by a simple future tense verb such as will purchase.
Here, the reporting verb is in not the past tense but the present perfect tense.
As noted in my post above, It is unlikely that an OA will feature a past tense reporting verb followed by a future tense verb.
so on GMAT,bottom-line is :

Non-past tense (such as present perfect tense) reporting verb is followed by a simple future tense verb such as will purchase -- CORRECT.

GENERALLY, past tense reporting verb is followed by a simple future tense verb such as will purchase -- INCORRECT. (however, this second rule can have exceptions)

right ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:19 pm
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
ok. so,you meant that it MUST have to be only NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN, BUT it can NOT be NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN-Phrase.

did i get you right ?
Yes.
As stated above:
If the verb attributed to which can be SINGULAR OR PLURAL, then which must serve to refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:25 pm
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: As the OA here illustrates, a reporting verb such as has announced can be followed by a simple future tense verb such as will purchase.
so on GMAT,bottom-line is :

Non-past tense (such as present perfect tense) reporting verb is followed by a simple future tense verb such as will purchase -- CORRECT.

GENERALLY, past tense reporting verb is followed by a simple future tense verb such as will purchase -- INCORRECT. (however, this second rule can have exceptions)

right ?
Your understanding seems correct.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by gocoder » Sat May 14, 2016 9:07 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: In B, the verb attributed to which -- accounted -- can be singular or plural, so which must serve to refer to its stores (the nearest preceding noun).
Thank you. the explanation on this thread is the most comprehensive explanation I received for ' which' modifier.
Can you give me an example of phrase in which ' which ' modifier does not modify the nearest noun.

The boys chose 5 burgers from the menu, which accounted for most of the bill.
From the above example, it appears to me that 'which'must modify '5 burgers ' but as per the rule
, it appears that 'which' must modify ' menu' .

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat May 14, 2016 4:59 pm
gocoder wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: In B, the verb attributed to which -- accounted -- can be singular or plural, so which must serve to refer to its stores (the nearest preceding noun).
Thank you. the explanation on this thread is the most comprehensive explanation I received for ' which' modifier.
Can you give me an example of phrase in which ' which ' modifier does not modify the nearest noun.
Check my second post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/emily-dickin ... 21769.html
The boys chose 5 burgers from the menu, which accounted for most of the bill.
From the above example, it appears to me that 'which'must modify '5 burgers ' but as per the rule
, it appears that 'which' must modify ' menu' .
Here, the verb attributed to which -- accounted -- can be singular or plural.
Thus, which must serve to refer to the nearest preceding noun -- the menu -- implying that THE MENU accounted for most of the bill.
This meaning is nonsensical.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3