Saffir-Simpson Scale

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Saffir-Simpson Scale

by blackarrow » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:15 pm
The category 1 to 5 rating known as the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale provides an estimate of a hurricane’s potential of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as to blow away small buildings, completely destroy mobile homes, and cause severe window and door damage.

a)of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as
b)to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined from wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough
c)of destroying or damaging property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as
d)to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough
e)to destroy or damage property, and is primarily determined by wind speed; a category 5 storm has wind speeds so high as

Source- MGMAT SC. Difficulty level 700-800
Its better to burn out than to fade away

Followed by:24 members
GMAT Score:750

by TedCornell » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:33 pm
I think B is the correct answer.

1st split: "potential of destroying" vs "potential to destroy"

Idiomatically, "x has the potential of doing" is incorrect. "x has the potential to do" is correct. Eliminate A and C

2nd split: "speeds so high as to blow" vs "speeds high enough to blow"

When a sentence uses "so" to emphasize the extent/level, the "so" should be followed with "that" as in "wind speeds so high that..." This is another idiomatic issue; get rid of questions that use "so high as to blow" and keep answers that use the correct "high enough to blow'. Eliminate A, C and E.

3rd split: "determined from" vs "determined by"

This is a meaning issue. "The rating...is determined by wind speed" means that the wind speed literally determines the rating. This is illogical since the speed doesn't actually determine anything. People determine the rating from their measurement of wind speed.

"The rating...is determined from wind speed" is correct; it means that wind speed is used to determine the rating. In this case, the speed doesn't determine the rating, but is used to determine the rating. This is the logical meaning.

Eliminate answers that use "determine by". Eliminate C, D and E.

The correct answer is B

(I studied with OG and GMATFix Verbal Flashcards)

by ken3233 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:57 pm
I picked "D" at first, because I wasn't aware of the "determined by" vs. "determined from" distinction in meaning. Based on TedCornell's explanation, I agree that "B" is correct.

by blackarrow » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:46 am
Tedcornell,

Love the way you dissect the question,

But you are incorrect here.

Will wait for more replies before posting OA

by delhiboy1979 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:17 am
E looks the right option to me.

To destroy is correct. determnined by is correct and also correct use of idiom so..as.

Followed by:24 members
GMAT Score:750

by TedCornell » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:12 am
ouch

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bjp2008 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:19 pm
delhiboy1979 wrote:E looks the right option to me.

To destroy is correct. determnined by is correct and also correct use of idiom so..as.
Also think the same. It should be E. What is OA..

GMAT Score:660

by orel » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:10 am
IMO OA is D.
"so high as to blow.." sounds like an exaggeration, doesn't it?
"high enough to blow.." is more moderate... and more scientific, IMO.

And i'd go with "determined by.."
Am I totally incorrect? :shock:
OA please!

by blackarrow » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:57 am
OA is E

by orel » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:05 am
Is there any explanation why "so high as...", please???

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by cm47323 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:52 am
blackarrow - what is the source of the question? GMAC seems to have changed its mind on this idiom. OG11 SC 33 - Choice C uses the "So x as to y" construct and is deemed unidiomatic. This is in contrast to prior OGs. If this question was from a third party publication which was based on OG 10, C is probably wrong and we should ignore the question.

by blackarrow » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:55 am
cm47323,

Please llok carefully, i had mentioned whats the source+ the difficulty bin of the question when I posted the question itself ( small font)

The explaination is(manhattan)... and I agree :-

When referring to y as the potential outcome of x, the correct idiom is “x’s potential to y.” This sentence incorrectly phrases the idiom as “a hurricane’s potential of destroying or damaging.” When referring to the use of y to determine x, the correct idiom is “x is determined by y.” This sentence incorrectly phrases the idiom as “potential … is determined from wind speeds.” Finally, there is a subtle distinction between the idiom "so x as to y" and “x is enough to y.” The original sentence uses the idiom "so x as to y" to indicate that characteristic x is so extreme in the particular case that y results. In contrast, the idiom "x is enough to y" is used when x is the criteria by which an ability to achieve y is measured. Thus, if a sentence stated that "a category 5 storm has wind speeds high enough to blow away small buildings," this would convey a different meaning: that wind speeds are the criteria by which one measures the ability to blow away small houses.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) When referring to the use of y to determine x, the correct idiom is “x is determined by y.” This sentence incorrectly phrases the idiom as “potential … is determined from wind speeds.” The change from the original idiom "wind speeds so high as to..." to the idiom presented in this sentence “high enough to...” changes the original meaning of the sentence; it conveys that wind speeds are the criteria by which one measures the ability to blow away small houses. The idiom "so x as to y" is required instead to match the original meaning: that characteristic x (the wind speed) is so extreme in the particular case (a category 5 storm) that y results (small houses are blown away).

(C) When referring to y as the potential outcome of x, the correct idiom is “x’s potential to y.” This sentence incorrectly phrases the idiom as “a hurricane’s potential of destroying or damaging.”

(D) The idiom “high enough to blow away small buildings” changes the original meaning; it conveys that wind speeds are the criteria by which one measures the ability to blow away small houses. The idiom "so x as to y" is required instead to match the original meaning: that characteristic x (the wind speed) is so extreme in the particular case (a category 5 storm) that y results (small houses are blown away).

(E) CORRECT. All idioms in the sentence are used correctly.

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:56 pm
I agree with tedcornell even after reading your explanation for OA

Determined By v/s Determined from

I think both the idioms are correct depending upon their use.

Determined By: when Only Wind speed is the parameter

determined from : result is derived from the wind speed.

Since the original sentence says Determined from i.e result is derived from wind speed, we cannot change its meaning in the answer

Please explain if I am wrong somewhere

by orel » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:06 pm
Gmat740,

But it is possible that he original sentence can be wrong, right? That is the reason we have other four options.

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:30 pm
Feruza

It is good to say the original sentence can be wrong, but it's not good to change the meaning of the original sentence

If we are given :
I played basketball yesterday
And one of the option says:

I played basketball yesterday with my friends.

Although both mean the same that" I played basketball yesterday"

but it never says anything about friends, may be I played alone or with friends etc

So is the option correct??

I hope this clear what I mean to say the MEANING OF THE ORIGINAL SENTENCE

Karan