Round 3/4 or wait for Round 1 and the next class?

Launched June 1, 2012
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Interested in feedback from others. I am debating to apply in r3 (or the equivalent for some schools). Here are some highlights that hopefully will give some of you an idea of where I stand.

Male, Caucasion
Married, 2 kids with one on the way
GMAT: 730
CFA Level 1 Candidate (taking test in June)

School: Associates degree transferred to BYU for BS-Business Management, emphasis in Finance; Overall GPA: 3.5
Graduation: 2006
Awards/Clubs: 2 Merit Scholarships, Presidential Leadership Scholarship, VP Finance Society, Member Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society

Languages: Fluent Italian, conversational Spanish

Work Experience
-Intern for Investment management firm 2003-2005
-Intern for Utah State Senate President-Chosen out of 300 applicants
-Corporate FX Sales and Trading-2005-Present
-6th employee in firm; now 60+ employees and 6 locations
-Part of team that opened and developed the LA and Dallas offices
-Opened Boston office and continue to manage the eastern United States territory; built book of business from $0 in FX volume to over $225 MM per year
-Member of the credit committee
-Created and implemented training on fundamental and technical analysis for company
-Developed and ran Intern program 2008-present
-Daily analysis of markets and recommendations have generated over $3 mm in revenue annually
Co-Owner Wakeboard Manufacturer/distributor
-Implemented strategy that grew sales by 100% for 3 straight years (2010-present)
-Grew sponsorship team from 12 to 100 riders who help market the brand around the world
-Created relationships with manufacturing facilities that got the company better quality boards and for 50% less

Service
-Scoutmaster for local scout troop 2008-2010
-Leader of religious youth boys (12-18 years old) and developed program that took participation from 20% to 88% over the past 18 months
-Church Service in Northern Italy 2000-2002; became fluent in Italian while living there for just over 2 years.
-Lead over 150 fellow participants in training seminars

There is additional information, but I don't want to bore all of you out there. Thanks for taking a quick look and giving me some feedback on whether I have a shot in R3 or if I should wait till round 1 and the class of 2016.

Schools I am looking at are the following (in no particular order):
Wharton
Tuck
Stanford
Harvard
Haas
Fuqua
Booth
McCombs
and weighing either USC or UCLA

Goal: To get into asset management

THANKS!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:57 pm
Generally, I would say round 3 is a challenge. It will be for you as well, but you do have a solid bio so there is still a chance. People do get in third round and they usually are solid candidates that for whatever reason had to wait to get the application into the adcom office. Make sure you think of a viable reason if it comes up in an interview...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review