Review of OptimusPrep-- Beware of this course

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I posted a similar post responding to a review request for Optimus. Pretty much the message is the same. Not a good course. Stick to reputable industry leaders, to verifiable 99th percentile tutors who belong to strong names in test prep, and to official guide and gmac materials.

Wished that I had known this. Anyways, my review and recommendation is below.

As an optimusprep gmat student, there are things you should know.

1-Optimus is actually gogmat. GOGMAT is a platform that rents their question banks to new start ups. Optimus is a group of people who join in as tutors and sell courses for extra the course of gogmat, but the question bank and all the course is actually made by GOGMAT.

2-Optimus sells packages for $999.00 USD so that you receive 5 hour tutoring package with a "99th percentile tutor". I bought the gold package since I read so many 5 stars reviews on GMATCLUB. So far, I do not consider the tutors as 99th percentile gmat test takers since they do not show actual mastery of the content. The sessions I have seen are very basic and their advice is simple; advice you can see in any forum.

2-As quality goes, I have seen many questions from Optimus/gogmat are very different from the actual GMAT PREP or Official Guide that you have seen. In fact, I have seen several postings of optimus/gogmat questions in GMATCLUB and many actual GMAT Experts have warned about the question and the official explanation given from Optimus/Gogmat, especially its verbal content.

3-As for their algorithm, I think they are very skewed. I took a test and scored over 710. While I was amazed by this score, I bought tests packages from Manhattan, Veritas, Kaplan and Exam pack 1 from GMAC.
In these tests, my scores were 640, and 670 on Veritas, 660 on Manhattan, and 680 on Kaplan and 670 on actual GMATPREP exam pack. You can see that Optimus´s scores are inflated. In fact I invite Veritas, Manhattan and Kaplan staff to access to my profiles and see that these scores are real in their databases and that I am telling the truth.

As recommendation to future students. STICK TO OFFICIAL MATERIALS. Official guide, and exampack and try a course from an industry leader, reputable company with historical track. Do not fall for new companies that you see have inflated reviews with practically 100 satisfaction as this consitutes deceptive marketing and fraud.

Folks, more and more people are taking the gmat and there are companies that will take advantage of this situation, emphasizing quantity over quality. DO your research and demand proof of their claims. Have notification on the quality and credentials of their tutors and choose wisely. Remember, when something looks too good to be true, then there is a catch under the table.

I wished I had signed with Veritas or Manhattan at the beginning, rather than having wasted time and money on this course.

feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thank you

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Salvador_Massi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:12 am
Hello,

I do not agree with you here. I also bought their GMAT on demand course and was satisfied with it. It was part of my 34 hour online private tutoring package and it helped me especially between the lessons to practice the concepts I learned from my tutor.

The course has videos, practice tests, quizzes, concept libraries, thousands of questions with detailed explanations...all for only $300. i do not know what you expected but i had other GMAT courses before and was not satisfied because they did not had a lot of Optimus Prep's features such as the adaptive learning mode for example where you get automated suggestions which areas to study more intensively.

I also noticed that you posted the exact same post in another part of the forum. somehow a strange behavior but anyway...I hope you still achieved a decent score. I was able to do so for my part and can recommend them because of their transparent score guarantee policy and free online trial hour where I tested the tutor before signing up