Retaking the Gmat

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Retaking the Gmat

by pcm182 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 pm
Hey Guys,

So i took the gmat a month and a half ago. I did the veritas books and the course pack. After that I got a private tutor for a month and a half. I studied around 9 months. My goals is to get a 700. My first practice test I got a 420, second I got a 490. So i saw I was improving. The day of the test I got a 350. To say the least it was soul crushing. I spent almost a year of my life to get a lower score. Afterwards i decided not to go to business school anymore.

It took sometime and I am back. This is my goal so I am going to really go for it. Something that I really saw was lacking last time was a study plan. This time I am doing the magoosh study plan to really increase my score and going all out. I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for someone retaking the test? Mindset? Also what are somethings that you think affected my score negatively so much? The weird thing is that the day of the test I wasn't really scared but enjoying it! Thanks in advance for your input.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:16 pm
Hi pcm182,

Raising a 350 to a 700+ will take some serious work, and you'll have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. The good news is that the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. It's also possible that you don't necessarily need a 700+ score to get into your first choice Business School. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) When you say that you studied for a year, what does that mean exactly? How many hours were you studying per week? How often did you meet with the tutor? Etc.?
2) Was 490 the highest that you scored on any of your CATs? How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
3) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on the Official GMAT?

Goals:
4) Is your goal score still 700+?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:15 am
YES! Answer all of Rich's questions!

I also think you need to do a serious audit of what you did that was right. At at 350, that will be, well, limited...so if you got questions right, we want you to BUILD on that experience. Why did you get those things correct and not the rest of the test? What worked for you with Veritas material? Why are you choosing a program, again, in which you only are depending on yourself for study, as compared to an unperson/live/accountability situation of a class or a tutor?

If you're the CEO of You, Inc., is this the best method to move forward based on your history even before you took the GMAT?

You mention mindset. Please say a bit more bout this. As someone who has witnessed how 'sports psychology' and 'mindset support' greatly impacts ones score (yes, 230 point score improvement after 5-hours of work with us, with NO content, ONLY mindset coaching), YES, this is EXTREMELY important. Tests don't only measure WHAT you know but HOW YOU TAKE TESTS. So: please elaborate....we have audio programs (5+ hours) and private coaching to help you with this, and can refer you to local resources as well. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS! I'm so glad you mentioned it.

That said: even at your high score of 490, on a practice test, you're still deficient in content, so ...well...yeah...it's time to get busy, and you're likely going to need more than Magoosh or online static resources. IMHO.

But it's all doable!
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c