Retake GMAT or take Community College math classes?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Stacy,
I'm a junior attorney (just under 3 years work experience) practicing at a Fortune 500 subsidiary with C-Suite dreams (not as General Counsel). I have a 3.2 UG GPA, B.S. in Applied Economics from Berkeley. On the GMAT I scored 620. Am I better off re-taking the GMAT and improving my score, or proving my quantitative prowess by taking community college math classes (e.g. calculus)? I'm aiming for UCLA Anderson FEMBA. Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:45 am
Hi Pacific2014,
You've got a few different issues going on here, so let's untangle them a bit. Yes, your numbers -- GPA and GMAT -- may be low for the program you're targeting, although FEMBA programs typically have lower expectations in this area than full-time MBAs. However, FEMBA applicants are usually older, bringing six to ten years of work experience, so here you're still a bit under the median as well. Why in particular are you targeting an "EMBA"-style program? Is it a matter of finances or wanting to keep your current job while you study, or more about the GMAT/GPA issue? I'm assuming your post-MBA goals will involve a career change?

The quick answer to your question is, "both" -- retake the GMAT, also take the coursework. And you might also consider taking another year before applying, unless you have a reason for doing the FEMBA now that will be compelling to the adcom.

Hope this helps.
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me