Respectable 710 (Q:47, V:41) One Month After a 640. Retake?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I have perused the forums on here and have found the information insightful and inspirational - thanks to all. I wanted to share my GMAT journey (hope it will be informative) and I wanted to seek some retake advice.

Here's some background re: GMAT journey:
I studied for one month mainly using the full Manhattan GMAT curriculum. Found the MGMAT books to be helpful in building knowledge of content across all tested topics. I took a lot of practice exams from Kaplan, MGMAT, GMAT Club, Veritas, and of course GMAT Prep. I'll avoid giving a breakdown of my test scores because I don't think the scores matter outside of the first exam to establish a base and identify weak areas and the last exam taken relatively close to exam date to gauge how well prepared you are to hit target score.

In studying before my first official GMAT, I believe that I focused too much on content and doing tons of practice problems. I scored a 720 on a GMAT Prep exam the week before the real exam and thought that was a good indication that I was well-prepared for the real thing. Unfortunately, I ended up scoring a disappointing 640 (Q:42, V:35). I evaluated the situation and discovered that I was going about the test in the wrong way. I literally did every Q problem using a textbook approach and didn't consider other methods like backsolving and picking numbers. Fortunately, I ran across a goldmine that is RON Purewal's Thursday's With Ron Study Halls (offered for free). I watched most of the 100+ study halls and during the process developed great strategies for solving DS and PS questions on quant and the different verbal questions. At the end of watching the study halls, I was able to solve problems in various different ways, which served me well when I got stuck doing a problem the "textbook" way. RON's study halls on the Verbal section provided me with terrific takeaways - e.g., his rec to Personalize passages seemed odd at first but I think contributed most to my score improvement in verbal...the focus on meaning for SC was crucial as well. These study halls and two practice exams were literally the only thing I did to prep for second exam.

I scored a 760 and 780 on GMAT Prep exams the week before my second official GMAT (710). I was disappointed because I think I could have scored higher IF I managed my time better. I ended up having to guess on the last 5 questions in Quant (wasn't even able to submit an answer for question 37 which is ridiculous) and the last 3 questions in verbal (all CR problems, which are my strength). Also, I admit this is extremely irresponsible, but I went out the night before the exam to celebrate one of my best friends bday's promising myself I'd have one drink then go home to sleep. Long story short, I lacked discipline and ended up partying all night, possibly contributing to slow thinking and inability to finish on time (always finish practice exams on time).

My question is whether or not I should give it another try after working on my time management issues? 710 doesn't wow anyone and I think I could realistically score 30-50 points higher. I guess my real question is whether or not the extra 30-50 points is worth the effort, considering I have a life outside of GMAT world and am also studying for CFA III. For the 3 schools I'm looking to apply to I am above, at, and below the average score. Apart from GMAT, I have pretty good application I think: work at hedge fund, 3.8 gpa from top liberal arts college, phi beta kappa.

Also, does anybody think that doing 2-4 hours of private tutoring would significantly improve odds of getting to that glorious 760 mark?

Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:43 am
I have experience with things like what you mentioned, time management issues, and not being optimally set up with sleep, mindset and stuff like that the day of the test.

After having quant experiences pretty much just like yours, I worked on timing for just a week or so and saw an immediate difference.

As far as getting no sleep and drinking the night before, not only did stress and lack of sleep probably affect my test score on one occasion, but also I remember how I would be amazed at how a few drinks would still be messing me up on the trading floor the next day.

There is enough subtlety to the GMAT questions that the reduction in sensitivity caused by even one drink the night before could be enough to significantly lower one's score. An all night binge is easily good for 40 points or more.

So I say retake it, maybe within two or three weeks if possible. Why mess around.

Here's a possible strategy. Set up a BellCurves practice account and do groups of quant questions in your weaker areas. Keep you time in mind at all times and get really used to seeking to stay within a two minute average.

Do something similar with verbal, maybe using the Veritas question bank.

The idea is to get a little better at answering the questions and a lot better at managing your time.

Also, check out my prescription for rocking verbal. It sounds like pretty much just what you need at this point. https://www.beatthegmat.com/an-alternati ... 82025.html

Could working with a tutor increase your odds? Maybe a little, depending on the tutor and what were to get accomplished during those hours.

In any case, you seem to already be pretty well set up for this test, and with a little more preparation, and a clear head the day of the test, your getting a higher score seems like a lock. Even 740 or 750 would be nice and may not be much more than just a good night's sleep away. Just don't sabotage yourself this time, maybe don't schedule on the day after a friend's birthday, and take a take no prisoners attitude.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jjbond » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:47 pm
Marty,

Thanks for the advise. Much appreciated.