resource explaining what an MBA is?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

resource explaining what an MBA is?

by TheRekz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:24 pm
I don't know whether this should be the right place to ask this question. I am currently having a difficult time explaining to my dad what an MBA is vs a master's program. I told him that MBA is well more suited for those people who wants a career change and those usually who have prior work experience in managing people. I currently want to do an MS in MIS... do you have any book or suggestion, that I could ask him to read so that this point is more clear.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:06 pm
You could say that an MBA is a Masters... in Business Administration. For someone who wants to change careers yes an MBA may be more appropriate. Re: work experience... I guess this is correct because a lot of people go for their masters right/shortly after graduation, whereas MBA candidates usually hit a ceiling then realize - yeah I need to get my MBA

Some of the books that I've read are:

Business School Confidential by Robert Miller
How to get into a top MBA program (beginning of the book would shed some light on why people get MBA's)
Ahead of the Curve by Philip Delves Broughton, which is my favorite because its his take on his 2 years at harvard business school...
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by jon82 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:13 pm
The MBA is more technical and career oriented than are other masters. A masters in finance, for instance, would be more theoretical than an MBA with a focus on finance.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by TheRekz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:40 pm
Thank you all for your suggestion. I am trying to convince my dad that I am better off doing Master's in Information System rather than an MBA. I am still a fresh graduate, no work experience, and therefore even though I got accepted at an MBA program, I won't be able to relate well with the materials being taught with my work experience. I will just be a dull boy sitting at class. I've read this book and it seems like a good resource for him:

https://www.economistshop.com/asp/bookde ... ?book=3402

any of you guys read this magazine before?