• Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh

Resolve The Paradox

This topic has 2 expert replies and 2 member replies
shibsriz@gmail.com Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
19 Sep 2012
Posted:
429 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Thanked:
6 times

Resolve The Paradox

Post Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:17 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Please help me with the explanation-Thanks
    Attachments

    This post contains an attachment. You must be logged in to download/view this file. Please login or register as a user.

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:19 am
    Quote:
    CONGRESSMAN: The wealthiest 20% of our national citizens contribute more than 70% of the total income tax revenues. This unjust burden placed upon high-salaried employees who through hard work and dedication have earned the rewards their talents command.

    SENATOR: While it is true the wealthiest 20% of wage earners generate more than 70% of the total income tax revenues, the current income tax system does not impose a greater hardship upon high-salaried citizens than it does those with modest incomes.

    Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the apparent paradox in the senator’s comment above?

    A. Large wage-earners generally have more opportunities to supplement their incomes through investments and tax-free accounts.
    B. Many wealthy individuals have funds available to them is saving accounts that can be used to pay their income taxes.
    C. The current tax code is based on democratically approved schedule of tiered rates that are applied to citizens accordingly to their total earnings.
    D. Inherited fortunes, dividends and interests are all exempt from tax under the current tax system.
    E. The economic disparity in this country is so great that the wealthiest 20% of workers earn 75% of the total income.
    E: The economic disparity in this country is so great that the wealthiest 20% of workers earn 75% of the total income.
    Here, the wealthiest people earn 75% of the total income, while the rest of the population earns the remaining 25%.
    At the same time, the wealthiest people account for as little as 70.1% of the total tax collected, while the rest of the population accounts for the remaining 29.9%.
    Since the rest of the population earns only 25% of the total income but accounts for a HIGHER percentage of the total tax collected, the tax rate for the rest of the population must be HIGHER than the tax rate for the wealthiest people -- explaining why the current income tax system does not impose a greater hardship upon high-salaried citizens.

    The correct answer is E.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:41 am
    Hello Mitch,

    I picked answer choice (A). Given your explanation, I do see that a little math is involved in (E) and it makes sense.

    But could you please explain why answer choice (A) is incorrect.

    Thanks,
    Ranjan

    Post Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:11 am
    ranjansurianarayanan wrote:
    Hello Mitch,

    I picked answer choice (A). Given your explanation, I do see that a little math is involved in (E) and it makes sense.

    But could you please explain why answer choice (A) is incorrect.

    Thanks,
    Ranjan
    The conclusion is constrained to high-salaried employees who through hard work and dedication have earned the rewards their talents command.
    The portion in blue is a PREMISE.
    A premise is a FACT; it cannot be weakened.
    Eliminate any answer choice that attempts to weaken a premise.

    A: Large wage-earners generally have more opportunities to supplement their incomes through investments and tax-free accounts.
    This option attempts to weaken the premise that high wage-earners earn their rewards through hard work and dedication.
    Eliminate any answer choice that attempts to weaken a premise.
    Eliminate A.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    RBBmba@2014 Legendary Member Default Avatar
    Joined
    30 May 2012
    Posted:
    888 messages
    Followed by:
    4 members
    Thanked:
    8 times
    Post Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:51 am
    Hi,
    Is it an Official Qs ? Any idea what is the source of this CR ?

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 Vincen 152 topics
    2 lheiannie07 61 topics
    3 Roland2rule 49 topics
    4 LUANDATO 44 topics
    5 ardz24 40 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    140 posts
    2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

    EMPOWERgmat

    110 posts
    3 image description EconomistGMATTutor

    The Economist GMAT Tutor

    109 posts
    4 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    107 posts
    5 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

    Veritas Prep

    72 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts