Requesting Profile eval

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Requesting Profile eval

by fearlessJ » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:29 am
Hi team,
I would like for you to please help me evaluate my chances based on the following information.
I am in Indian male,IT, GMAT 700 (Q48, V 38), 30, close to 7 years of work exp, BS from India 3.6 GPA, MS from USA 3.2 GPA
I was very active during my undergrad days with co curricular activites. I was the founder of the first literary college society and organized several events. I was the MC several inter college events and lead our college teams in several contests as well. I had very few oppurtunities to get involved with extra curricular activities during my MS since i was new to the country and completed it in 3 semesters only. Since my masters, i have worked in IT and am with a product company now from the last 3 years and do Tech consulting for them. This means i travel to client sites etc but am mostly involved with the tech side of house. All my clients are fortune 100 companies in the USA.

I know that i am from a pool where GMAT scores are generally higher but i am not sure how many people from this pool have an MS. Will this be a positive or a negative thing for me?
My target schools are UC Berkely,UCLA or IIM A(exec program), IIM B(exec program), IIM C (exec program), ISB

thanks in advance.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:03 am
Dear FearlessJ,

A few thoughts and questions for you:
  1. You have not mentioned the achievements/differentiators at your workplace. An MS alone is not good enough. So will be good to understand the brand you are associated with and a sense of your career progress. The chances also depend on your goals and feasibility therein.
  2. For reasons mentioned here, I will refrain from providing gut-based school suggestions. But overall, for the Indian schools, you may still have a shot. I am just not sure about the timing though. ISB deadline is just a few days away - unless you qualify for the Jan'15 deadline? Likewise for the IIM programs. For the US schools in your list, likely to be on the aggressive side. Besides, this again brings us to the point of goals. Indian MBAs will typically mean a purely Indian career, unless you get lucky. Vice versa for US MBA. So should decide accordingly.
Hope this helps a bit

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:31 pm
Hi fearless J,

Rightly pointed out that MS alone will not add much weight.And your extra-curricular work seems to be too distant in the past. I would say your best chance in standing out remains in digging out success-stories from your professional work. Top brands as clients (Fortune 100) can only help, if you've work to show.

Regards,
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jobanmarwah » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:27 am
thanks for your replies. I appreciate your help. I do have follow up questions but will organize my thoughts and then post again when i am ready.