Request for profile evaluation

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Request for profile evaluation

by abhisheksamantasenior » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:19 pm
Hi,

Could you please let me know whether I am realistic in setting my target schools with my profile/ if not then what should I do to overcome shortcomings?

Target Schools - Top 15 US B Schools (well, I know this is a wrong way of putting things - ranking should not be a deciding factor)

GMAT Score - 750 (Verbal - 43, Quant - 51)

Job Profile:
Name of the company - Capgemini Inc.
Designation - Senior Consultant
Experience - Joined in September 2005
Sector - IT
Job Description - Ahhh....this is one (only!!) area I can boast of!! Started a two-member team in 2006 to support HSBC credit cards services. Team size has grown to 20. Right now leading a team of 60 associates. Started two new engagements with HSBC. Got three promotions so far. Won four leadership awards - one of them being the quarterly CEO award.

International Experience - almost 1 year

Secondary Education (General Subjects) - 86.5% in 1998
Higher Secondary (Science) - 76.5% in 2000
Engineering Entrance Exam - Ranked 174 (out of almost 75K students in the state)
Undergraduate (Electrical Engineering) - :'(. GPA - 2.5.

Other - CFA Level 1, PMP
Extra curricular Activities - Painting (did for 4 years and have recently resumed - have some certificates to showcase) - won few prizes too, Photography
Social Service - Nil

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:14 am
I think you are absolutely competitive for a top-tier school. The only real weakness that I see in your profile is your undergraduate grades. I think that your GMAT and professional will mitigate this. The GMAT will show that you have the "brain power" to be successful in an academic setting, and, hopefully your work experience will show that you have the drive (and aren't "lazy" which is the only reason I can see for your less than stellar grades).

As I say to any applicant at a top school, recommendations are VERY important to differentiate you from your peers. You will be competing against many engineers in the IT sector so it will be crucial that your recommenders (and your essays/resume) stress your "business" skills (leadership/teamwork/creativity/analytical abilities, etc.).

I love that you are also a painter - that is a fun differentiating point!

Good luck!
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by abhisheksamantasenior » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:10 pm
Thanks a ton Jessica for taking time to reply this. Your words are definitely very encouraging.
I have few questions (well some of them might sound silly):

I am particularly very worried with my 'stellar' low GPA. Do you feel I can do anything to compensate this? Like taking any course or anything of that sort?

Recommendation wise 'I THINK' I'll get good reco as I have already discussed my plan to do MBA with my boss and he appreciated my future plan and assured me that he'd try his best for me. Now I have seen many people come up with reco from state representatives, CEOs, CFOs, Harvard pass-outs or likes. I can certainly NOT submit that kind of request (hah!! CapG CEO is UCLA passout but surely he'd not entertain me for reco. He does not know my strengths or weaknesses.), only reco at my work place could be my boss (he is the Client Engagement Manager), his boss or another level up. So will it reduce my chance? In case it is, what could I do on my part to mitigate that factor?

Workwise, I understand that I work in IT, but good thing is that from the very beginning I was put (yes, I WAS put) in leadership role. My manager trusted a fresher to start a new venture (that time the project type was completely unheard of in the whole company) - completely new engagement and I worked hard to keep the promise. Gradually, the team grew to 50+ members, generating revenue of 0.8 M/year and positioned itself in the pivotal role of HSBC's North America's credit card business. Later I was involved in another new area - where we took up the a whole department of HSBC. So these things should showcase my required business skills. But yes, having experiences and putting them on paper in an interesting manner and getting it supported from the recommenders are different thing. I need to work upon that; that is why I am taking extra time to apply. I'd apply for next year i.e. say around Nov 2011.

Thanks again for your time and words!!

Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:55 am
I think that taking a basic finance or statistics course is a great idea. Assuming you do well, this will show that you have the ability to succeed in an academic setting. Furthermore, this will show that you are serious about pursing a business education.

As for recommendations (and I'm glad that you asked that question), I think that your recommenders will be perfect! You should always pick recommenders who know you well and are willing to sing your praises. Immediate managers and others who work closely with you are much better recommenders than people with fancy titles!! Recommenders who are supportive of you and who can write passionately (with emotions and many superlatives) are the best advocates. Do NOT worry at all that you don't have someone "famous" to write a letter.

Lastly, remember to ALWAYS waive your right to see the letters of recommendation. This makes your recommendation more credible in the eyes of the Adcom.
Jessica
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options