Relieved after 5 years....with a 700 :)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

by faraz_jeddah » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:51 pm
Congrats on the score FROS!

It is evident from your story that hard work pays off. I can relate to your story about the attitude of institutes that dont add a lot to your learning.

But I must ask, why the 4.5 years of procrastination? Surely, that must have been painful assuming that you were working.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by khushbumerchant » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:48 am
FROS wrote:
5. It would be unfair if I take all the credit for my score myself. I took skype lessons from a private tutor and it was immensely helpful. I might not have touched the magical figure of 700 without her guidance and help.

FROS: Its really nice to know that after x years, you achieved what you wanted and it made you really happy.

Well, I am about to give my 1st attempt. I have similar issue. I am pretty weak in quant (it has never been my strength actually). I have studied materials all that you have listed but still the concepts n fundas don't come to me quickly while I am solving problems. Which means I end up giving more time than required for each question and I do not end up completing the section.
I would like to know about this online tutor. Coz what I understand from your article is that she/ he was good in helping you understand the basics and application of them. If this is right, please share her/ his contact with me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by FROS » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:57 pm
Hello,

I have sent a PM to everyone asking for my tutor's contact details. Please feel free to PM me or reply on this thread if I have missed anyone. Thanks.

Regards

by FROS » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:38 pm
sachinsonu wrote:congrats!! for the good score, I am struggling with CR particularly Assumptions and Evaluate the Argument Questions, can you please share your strategy on the same ?

regds
sachin
Hi Sachin,
Thanks, Well I think CR Bible is the one stop shop for all your CR needs :P....no really, atleast for me it proved to be so.
I guess the key is to identify the conclusion for all CR questions (the ones with conclusion obviously)....once you understand what the conclusion is half the battle is won and rest half will be won if you start taking the information personally. Just pretend as if someone is talking to you while providing this information and then think from that perspective. It really helped me and I hope it will help you too.
let me know if you have any other question.

by FROS » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:05 pm
faraz_jeddah wrote:Congrats on the score FROS!

It is evident from your story that hard work pays off. I can relate to your story about the attitude of institutes that dont add a lot to your learning.

But I must ask, why the 4.5 years of procrastination? Surely, that must have been painful assuming that you were working.
Thank you faraz_jeddah....
The only reason for my procrastination or helplessness was my rusty quant skills....I just couldnt start working on quants...everytime I started studying...I ended up working on verbal only....I was just so scared to pick up quant books because I thought that all the questions are so tough that I will just not be able to solve them. That was the reason I joined those institutes as well...I thought they will make me confident enough to atleast start working on my quant...but it brought no results :(...infact those institutes made me even more insecure about my quant skills because I felt that the other students were so smart and I stand no chance....anyways....I am happy that I got right guidance and I could get through this phase forever :)

by FROS » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:14 pm
khushbumerchant wrote:
FROS wrote:
5. It would be unfair if I take all the credit for my score myself. I took skype lessons from a private tutor and it was immensely helpful. I might not have touched the magical figure of 700 without her guidance and help.

FROS: Its really nice to know that after x years, you achieved what you wanted and it made you really happy.

Well, I am about to give my 1st attempt. I have similar issue. I am pretty weak in quant (it has never been my strength actually). I have studied materials all that you have listed but still the concepts n fundas don't come to me quickly while I am solving problems. Which means I end up giving more time than required for each question and I do not end up completing the section.
I would like to know about this online tutor. Coz what I understand from your article is that she/ he was good in helping you understand the basics and application of them. If this is right, please share her/ his contact with me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance.
Hello khushbumerchant,
You sound so much like I used to in my "scared of quant" days. I can completely relate to you. One advice I would like to give you is that just stop worrying about the timing. Work on the basics or concepts. You dont work on timing rather timing is the end result of your strong basics. Just work to understand the concepts and practicing as much as you can and trust me your timing will fall in place by itself.
and regarding the tutor, well only I know what I was going through to make my quants better and for me she is the best teacher in the world. Had it been not for her, I would never achieve the score I achieved. She is just amazing for someone who is struggling on the basics of quant or verbal.
Dont lose heart...I am sure with right guidance and hard work you can achieve your dream score. I personally feel that no one could be worse in quants more than me. So if I could...anyone can :)
I will send you PM for her contact details.
please feel free to write back in case of any questions.
All the very best !

by sammy04 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:43 am
Have sent u a pm FROS..

by FROS » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:31 am
sammy04 wrote:Have sent u a pm FROS..
replied.

by amita009 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:03 am
Hi FROS,

Thank you so very much for providing the details of the tutor. I have taken just 2 classes and I am already feeling much more confident about my verbal skills. Can't thank you enough.

I have sent you a PM, would you please look into it and reply. Thank you soooo much and All the best to you for everything in life.

Thank you....

by FROS » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:33 am
Hi Everyone,

Today I am logging in after almost 1.5 years and saw lot of messages from people asking for my tutor's details and I am really sorry that I could not keep a check on BTG messages as I got really busy with my professional life and probably wanted to keep myself away from GMAT realted things for a while :)

Most of the messages are pretty old and I assume most of them should have been done with their GMAT by now.

Just in case, anyone still needs the info - please feel free to email me at [email protected]

All the best to all of you and may you get your dream score :)

by alisha18a » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 am
Hi Fros,

Congratulations on your achievement. Please PM the tutor details.

Thanks