Recommended Podcasts or Audio Files for GMAT prep

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
I'm planning to take the GMAT in late March/early April. This is day 1 of week 1 for me in the suggested 3 month time period. I am going to take my first practice test this weekend when I have four hours to spare! I have purchased the OG 16 and intend on getting the Manhattan series as well. Aside from studying using these books, I am looking for GMAT prep podcasts or audio files. Given my current weekly schedule, I think it might be difficult for me to get in 2 - 3 hours of studying per week day. It would be of tremendous help if I could listen to something throughout the day at work (I'm guessing for the verbal section).

If you can share your recommendations it would be greatly appreciation.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:08 am
While I am not aware of any such audios, there are many videos from various sources, many of them on youtube, and others on sites such as those of GMAT Prep Now, Magoosh, Veritas and Manhattan Prep.

Maybe there is a way you can use the videos as audios. That seems doable for verbal.

I have not watched that many, but, for instance, the youtube videos that Veritas has up could work well. Also they had a complete sentence correction lesson posted in video form. If that's still up, it might be good for your purposes.

Having said that, be clear about this. The GMAT is less about things you learn about than it is about things you learn to do. So while I am sure you can get great ideas by watching or listening to videos or audios, getting to your score goal is probably going to also take actively playing the game. While I suspect that you already basically understand what I just said, it still seems worth mentioning, as I have seen so many people miss the difference between studying and training or not realize the degree to which that difference matters.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:27 am
Hi Mr._Keith,

Since you're just starting out, I'm curious about your overall timeline/plans:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to School?
3) Have you thought about which Schools you'll be applying to?

Training to score at a high level requires a certain degree of consistency when it comes to your studies. You don't have to study every day, but studying in smaller 'chunks' tends to yield better results than trying to 'cram' on the weekends. To that end, while you claim that it will be difficult to study 2-3 hours per week day, does that mean that you don't plan to study AT ALL during the week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Followed by:1 members

by Mr._Keith » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:34 pm
First off, thank you both for the feedback.

1) Ideally I would like my score to be in the range of 670 - 720. I'm going to take a practice test this Saturday to see where my weak areas are.
2) I'm planning on enrolling in the Fall of 2017. A late March/early April test date would be perfect for me as it gives me plenty of time to retake the GMAT if needed.
3) My top business school choices include UNC Kenan-Flagler, UGA Terry, and Vandy Owen.

Given my current schedule I think it will be difficult but not impossible to study for 2 - 3 hours a day during the week. But it is something that I am looking to achieve over the course of the next few months.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:42 am
Hi Mr._Keith,

Your 2 posts seem a bit 'fixated' on the idea of 2-3 hours of study per week day (and whether that's possible or not). To be clear, you do NOT need to study every day and you do not need study in 2-3 hour 'chunks.' The question is whether you'll be able to study 'some' during the weekdays and how much time that will likely be overall. If you can only study an hour a day during the week, then that's fine - it's just better to define that NOW and it might mean that you'll need a longer study timeframe to achieve your goals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Verbal Podcast

by MBA_Coach » Tue May 31, 2016 6:00 am
@Mr._Keith
I only cover verbal, but that is probably better suited to a podcast format than math. That could get dangerous.
Will be doing GMAT verbal mixed with application and essay strategy. :)
You can stream or download from the link below. I wrote a blog on it as well, in case you want to read what you just heard.
https://www.blogtalkradio.com/mbaprepcoa ... WlSg.email
https://mbaprepcoach.com
Getting MBA Applicants into Top 10 Business Schools