Recommendation letter - Leadership potential

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Recommendation letter - Leadership potential

by aham » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:20 am
Hello Stacy/Amy,

I am preparing a list of specific examples for my recommenders. Some of the qualities I have focussed on are:

a) Ability to work in team environment
b) Creativity and Imagination
c) Initiative
d) Strengths and Weaknesses
e) Communication skills

However, I am finding it hard to list down examples for Leadership potential. I do not have any managerial experience as I have been working as an engineer in a support services role.

Could you please suggest other characteristics which may closely resemble leadership skills?

I held the role of a training facilitator wherein I trained management and supervision level employees on the company's core business philosophy. Could this be perceived as a leadership role?

Eagerly awaiting your thoughts.

rgds,
aham

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:04 pm
Hi Aham,

Unfortunately, nothing substitutes for leadership! Fortunately, leadership comes in many forms.

Yes, absolutely, training others is a leadership quality. You can certainly be a leader within a team - think of times when you have been persuasive, or helped drive a project forward, even when you weren't the "official" leader.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by aham » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:34 pm
Thanks Amy...Appreciate your thoughts.

Could we also say that initiating a change and accomplishing the same either with or without someone else's help is also a form of leadership.

There were several instances when I came up with a lot of improvement ideas and implemented them. Some required other people's help and some did not. In the bigger scheme of things, a change was made for the better.

So could this be construed as a form of leadership initiative?

rgds,
Aham

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:12 pm
Hi Aham,

Definitely, that sounds like a great example.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting