Recommedation on creating a database for free Manhattan Test

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi,

I have a small suggestion. Since, Manhattan offers a free online test. We should create a list of Manhattan Score and the actual GMAT score

It will help in many ways
- Understand where on stands
- Get a good idea of how close it is to the real thing

Thanks
SM

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:22 pm
Hi surajsagi,

I definitely think having a score comparison chart would be a good idea in general. However, in practice, the chart would not flesh out the scores as well as one might hope. The problem is due to standard error. The real GMAT exam has a standard error of 30 points, meaning that a student whose 'true score' is a 670 can get anywhere between a 640 and a 700 and statistically be the same test-taker. This is due to environmental factors that day and the types of questions a test-taker receives.

The ManhattanGMAT practice exams, while accurate, have a larger standard error of roughly 50. Hence, someone with a 'true score' of 670 can receive anywhere between a 620 and a 720 and be at the same overall level. Because of this, we cannot provide you with a chart simply because it would not be helpful. If you score a 650 on a practice exam, you could be on the low end of the standard error range and be at a 700 level or you could be at the high end of the standard error range and be at a 600 level.

The ManhattanGMAT practice exams should not be used to provide you with an accurate score - that is what the GMATPrep software on mba.com is for. However, our exams come with useful Assessment Reports that will help guide your studying. Hence, you can break down an exam by question type, thereby allowing you to spend more time studying weaker areas.

I hope this is a thorough explanation. If not, please feel free to send Student Services an e-mail at [email protected].

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628