really nervous about test.. any advice would help

This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
hello my name is jesus wrote:i have practice through most of the books,

i am just scared of sentence correction questions under test pressure and scared to death about permutation/combination/probabilty questions.

if i dont conquer these, how do i conquer these?

i have ten days to my exam

if i dont get 750, i might as well move to somalia and become a christian missonary??

any advice folks?
I wouldn't worry too much about the permutation/combination/probability questions. You are not likely to see too many of these question types on the test, maybe a handful.

With regard to sentence correction--it's really hard to provide a strategy with just 10 days of prep left.

How are you doing on your practice tests?
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Danielle » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:46 pm
Jesus,

Eric is right. With only ten days left, an effective strategy for SC will be hard to come by. Have you taken any diagnostics? What is your current average score? Are you currently practicing?

A quick and dirty test strategy might be to get a quick diagnostic, take it, and concentrate on the types of questions that you miss most often. From that you will have a study list of question types. There are two parts to every question type:

1) The test-taking strategy for answering the question.
2) The underlying grammatical knowledge needed to answer the question correctly.

You may be stronger in one part than the other -- better at strategy than grammatical knowledge for example. If that is the case, you can review grammar more. What I am emphasizing here is really boiling down your test taking to the sum of its parts and only working on the parts that need the most work -- a triage of sorts. This can bring your score up, but nothing can substitute for lots of practice; practice test questions and practice with timed tests!

Bottom Line: Don't fill out the visa forms for Somalia just yet. Depending on your baseline score and how much prep you've already done, you might be able to bump up that score very well indeed.
Verbal Tutor