Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Reading Comprehension Author's Attitude

This topic has 1 expert reply and 0 member replies
Balrog1978 Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Posted:
32 messages
Reading Comprehension Author's Attitude Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:21 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    I've come across some of these quite a few times and was wondering if anyone could help me understand the difference between the following author's tones:

1) Objective vs Analytical
    2) Questioning vs Critical

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Geva@EconomistGMAT GMAT Instructor
    Posted:
    905 messages
    Followed by:
    118 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:04 am
    I'll have to look at specific examples to see the context, but the differences between the two seems too minute to warrant elimination just on these grounds. If one answer choice includes questioning X, and the other answer choice uses critical Y, I would actually examine the X and the Y for reasons to eliminate one or the other. Critical is perhaps a slightly stronger word, so all other things being equal, I'd prefer "questioning", but I doubt that you'll be put in this situation - there has to be a reason why one is better than the other, and the differences here are just not it.

The same goes for objective Vs. Analytical. Analytical is perhaps better if the author actually does some analyzing, but in general both are neutral terms and I can see both as applicable to a wide variety of instances. Again, I'll need to look at specific examples to see whether they warrant one or the other, but generally I'd look for he answer elsewhere.

1-888-780-GMAT
    http://www.mastergmat.com

Free 7-Day Test Prep with Economist GMAT Tutor - Receive free access to the top-rated GMAT prep course including a 1-on-1 strategy session, 2 full-length tests, and 5 ask-a-tutor messages. Get started now.

Best Conversation Starters

1 j_shreyans 85 topics
    2 aditya8062 38 topics
    3 anksm22 35 topics
    4 RiyaR 31 topics
    5 kamalakarthi 30 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

172 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow