00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Since this just came up on another thread, I thought I'd post this here, and if it's useful perhaps it can be stickied.

When posting your question, please type it as clearly as you can! Here are a few formatting basics:

1) Use superscripts (x³) instead of carets (x^3), especially when the exponent is a variable (3� NOT 3^n)

You can find all the superscripts you need toward the bottom of this page - just copy and paste! Carets are sloppy and problematic, and there's no excuse for using them on most problems.

2) Use parentheses, especially when division or roots are involved

Is 10²-9/2 equal to (10²-9)/2 or 10²-(9/2)? No one knows! We can often infer the correct equation from context, but there are plenty of times where it remains ambiguous: what's √3x + 9, for instance? It could be √(3x+9) or √(3x) + 9 or even x√3 + 9 in some nightmare scenario of poor formatting. Help us!

3) Use √, π, ˚ and ≈

These are easy! On a Mac, just type them as follows:

√ = Option + v
Ï€ = Option + p
Ëš = Option + k
≈ = Option + x

There are certainly others that I can't remember, so if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to add them to the thread.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:03 pm
Great post, Matt.

Ambiguous expressions/equations (e.g, 3x^2/x+y^4/x = 3/x-1) are a pain.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:01 pm
I'd like to add - formatting is one issue, but students should also post these 3 things with every question:

1) Source - there are a lot of bad questions out there from non-GMAT-like sources. Students need to be able to evaluate the helpfulness of the question by knowing the source.

2) Official Answer (OA) - Students should be able to try to question out and check their answer before they see explanations.

3) A clearly articulated question - Nothing is more annoying for experts than to see a problem copied without any context. How are we supposed to know what you didn't understand about it? We will be much better able to help you if you ask a direct question.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:11 pm
Since we're adding to the GMAT math post wishlist, I'd like to request that students include ALL 5 ANSWER CHOICES when posting Problem Solving questions.

In many instances, we can use the answer choices to our advantage.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com