Re-apply and other questions

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re-apply and other questions

by cloodle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:03 pm
I am a 25 year old female with 4 years of work experience as operations director of a small service company with massive experience with all aspects of running a business and some major marketing and operations achievements under my belt. I have a BA from UCSD (communications) with a 3.6 GPA. I have multi cultural background and speak several languages.

I have taken the GMAT twice - 630 and 660
GMAT: 660 (83%) Q:45 V:36 AWA:6
I also tried to apply to Kellogg, Stanford, Berkeley and was denied in the 2nd round last year.

My long term goal would be owning a small business either developing a specific product or consulting to other small businesses on business operations and marketing. Alternatively I consider continued education and a career as a business or life coach.
I want to get an MBA to acquire tools and the theoretical background on business subjects that I already have hands on experience with. I believe that would help me to correctly evaluate and direct business opportunities later in life.

I have evaluated the MSLOC program in Northwestern and while I am very excited about organizational behavior and how it's connected to entrepreneurship - I feel an MBA would be better preparation for my future.

I have two main questions.
1. Is it worthwhile to re-apply to the programs I have already tried last year? Are my chances increased from last year?
During the year that passed I have gained a deeper understanding of different aspects of the business I run and feel better prepared personally for a rigorous program, but nothing else substantial has changed from last year about my application.

2. Could you help me identify schools that would be a good match for my abilities and goals in the mid-low range?
Ideally I would like to stay in California or move to Chicago.

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant

by erins » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:56 am
Hi -

Based on your comments regarding the "similarity" of your would-be application this year versus last, it may be difficult for you to gain admittance as a reapplicant as schools typically do like to see (and ask for) how your application has changed/been strengthened since you last applied. This can come in the form of retaking the GMAT, community service involvement/leadership, extra classes for someone who has a week GPA or low quant score, as well as increased responsibility at work, etc.

As it relates to other schools, you could consider USC - although your GMAT score is still a bit low. There is also UC Davis and Irvine as well as Pepperdine in CA. In Chicago, I am most familiar with Kellogg and Booth.

If you would be willing to look elsewhere, then you could consider a program like Georgetown, Emory.

I hope this helps.
Erin
Erin Schuhmacher, MBA
Senior Consultant

Our Mission is Your Mission

mbaMission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Read the mbaMission Guides (12 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Visit the mbaMission Twitter