RC is scaring me

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

RC is scaring me

by conquistador » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:10 am
Hello everyone

I am very much scared of RC especially after one hard RC goes wrong, I go completely blank and I get afraid even to practice.
I know i have to improve my reading capability by reading regularly but my mind does not let me do so.
In-fact If I practice RC for one day then I cant dare to look at it for a week.
This nature carries out sometimes for CR as well.
Am I the only one to experience this or does this happen to anyone.
I'm not able to force myself to read RC when my mind is in this situation.
Please help me recover from this stage since I know that I have to practice rigorously and habituate reading for the test.

Thanks in advance

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:55 am
I promise, you are not the only person who becomes hesitant to do additional practice questions when you struggle. Keep reminding yourself that failure is a part of any process - some of us have steeper learning curves than others, but everyone is going to make mistakes. Everyone. Your goal, when you practice RC, isn't to get everyone question right. It's to hone techniques that will, in the long-run, improve this particular skill-set. Put another way, say you do a passage, miss some questions, but gain some valuable insight into how to breakdown future passages more effectively. That's a very successful study session. But if you do a passage, get every question right - but have to guess on a few - and don't come away with any strategic nuggets that can be applied on future passages, well, you might feel good, but this is a less successful study session. So don't be afraid to miss questions. You're going to. Measure success based on whether you're developing a deeper understanding of how to breakdown a passage, not based on the number of questions you answer correctly. Most importantly, make intensive reading a part of your daily routine. Over time, you'll not only improve your RC skills for the GMAT, but find that the intellectual challenge of digesting complex material is actually enjoyable.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course