RC Inference questions

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

RC Inference questions

by Balrog1978 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:17 am
I wanted to get some clarifications on RC inference type questions. Most importantly, when the question asks to infer an item - should I be looking at ONLY the surrounding sentences in the SAME PARAGRAPH where the inference is being alluded to? Or can inferences take, say, a conclusion in PARA4 as its basis for answering an inferences question?, even though the inference sentence being pointed to is in, say, PARA1?

The reason why I ask this is because, many times, using PoE, I tend to find two answers , one of which is in the SAME para as the inference, but the other answer choice reflects perhaps another STRONGER or EQUALLY STRONG related sentence two or three PARAS further down!!!

Thus : Is Inference similar to "According to.." types in which I should look at the surrounding sentences or is it different?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Balrog1978 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:16 am
*Shameless bump*!! Anyone?
This one has been on my mind since quite a while!!

Community Manager
Followed by:24 members

by shovan85 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 am
Its not easy to say. Inference means the correct should follow the same logically.

Ideally, you have to read two/ three lines before and after the line of reference. If you are getting more than one answers from completely different locations then probably your base of inference is wrong.

Be sure what you are inferring can be 100% proved from the passage. No place for a small skepticism in the inference.

It will be better if you can share the passage and question and your two answer choices.
If the problem is Easy Respect it, if the problem is tough Attack it