RC: In 1994, a team of scientists led by David McKay began

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
In 1994, a team of scientists led by David McKay began studying the meteorite ALH84001, which had been discovered in Antarctica in 1984.Two years later, the McKay team announced that ALH84001, which scientists generally agree originated on Mars, contained compelling evidence that life once existed on Mars. This evidence includes the discovery of organic molecules in ALH84001, the first ever found in Martian rock. Organic molecules--complex, carbonbased compounds--form the basis for terrestrial life. The organic molecules found in ALH84001 are polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, or PAH's. When microbes die, their organic material often decays into PAH's.

Skepticism about the McKay team's claim remains, however. For example, ALH84001 has been on earth for 13,000 years, suggesting to some scientists that its PAH's might have resulted form terrestrial contamination. However, McKay's team has demonstrated that the concentration of PAH's increases as one looks deeper into ALH84001, contrary to what one would expect from terrestrial contamination.The skeptic's strongest argument, however, is that processes unrelated to organic life can easily produce all the evidence found by McKay' steam, including PAH's. For example, star formation produces PAH's. Moreover, PAH's frequently appear in other meteorites, and no one attributes their presence to life processes. Yet McKay's team notes that the particular combination of PAH's in ALH84001 is more similar to the combinations produced by decaying organisms than to those originating form nonbiological processes.

The primary purpose of the passage is to

A. describe new ways of studying the possibility that life once existed on Mars
B. revise a theory regarding the existence of life on Mars in light of new evidence
C. reconcile conflicting viewpoints regarding the possibility that life once existed on Mars
D. evaluate a recently proposed argument concerning the origin of ALH84001
E. describe a controversy concerning the significance of evidence from ALH84001

OA Answer : E

My question : when i saw the word "controversy", i immediately crossed this answer out because nowhere in the passage is it described to be a controversy per se. Its just support and counter arguements in the essay, but nowwhere really a controversy. Hence i chose B

Thoughts on why E is the OA answer ?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vietmoi999 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:27 pm
the first para told us the theory of scientists.
the second para told us the argument againt the theory and the evidence which counter this argument.

consider each choice, justifying each word in answer choice we can eliminate all but E

A, the passage dose not only describe. the second para tell arguments
B. there is no "revise"
C. there is no 'reconcile"
D. there is no theory of origin of the meteorite.
E is best
If anyone in this gmat forum is in England, pls email to me([email protected]) . I have some problems and need your advise. Thank a lot