RC Accuracy

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

RC Accuracy

by yatinbassi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:31 am
Hi Guys !

What should be a realistic accuracy rate for RC passages? I have been working on OG 10 RC's and getting around 2 -3 questions wrong in 6Q RCs. Also, what should be the desired time taken for an RC passage?

Looking at 3 RCs in the real exam - i would lose 6/8 questions which can really hurt. What do you guys advice to improve accuracy? The problem i face is not with the strategy - the only one that works is reading the passage in detail along w taking notes, and then answer questions, but with answering the right option. Does that mean I am not comprehending the passage? It more happens with specific idea questions

Do you agree that OG is the best source for practice, partly because 1000RC has 4 para passages? Also, does anyone know the breakup of questions in the real test - no of SC, CR, and RC questions?

1 week for D DAY - Thanks guys !

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:580

by srinivasarajui » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:46 am
I think you should have an accuracy at least 75 and above. Mostly people come across 4 RCs on actual test.

As you have said you make notes this may miss some small but important detail in the passage, So make a point to go back the passage confirm your answer before marking.

I hope this will help.
Srinu

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by yatinbassi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:50 pm
Thanks Srinivas,

1. Not able to hit 75%...What do you recommend? How is 1000RC and the idea of using it now that i'm a week away?

2. Do you know the breakup of questions in the real test - no of SC, CR, and RC questions in the test?

3. Also what hit rate to expect from OG CR questions - im getting around 75% is that good enough?