RATIO

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

RATIO

by vipinsharma » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:26 pm
Man,this quant thing is weird:

The ratio of total amount distributed in all the males and females as salary is 6:5 .The ratio of salary of each male and female is 2:3 . Find the ratio of no. of males and females?

Please explain how to solve this question?

In the answer they did this: the Total salary of male:Total salary of female ::salary of each male:salary of each female

a:c:d

ad = cd
Options:
a)5:9 b)5:7 c)7:5 d)9:5 answer:D
I unam able to understand how you can get no of males and females by multiplying total salary of male and salary of each male??????????O.o
Last edited by vipinsharma on Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by j_shreyans » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:36 pm
Hi ,

Can you pls send us the options and spoiler the correct answer.

Thanks

Shreyans

by vipinsharma » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:05 pm
i have posted the options

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:35 am
Hi vipinsharma,

What is the source of this question? I ask because it's not written in proper GMAT-style.

As a ratio question though, it's based on standard ratio rules, so it can be solved in a couple of different ways.

The ratio of the average male salary to the average female salary is 2:3, so the average male makes some multiple of 2 and the average female makes some multiple of 3. The TOTAL salaries of males to females is 6:5, so the TOTAL of male salaries is a multiple of 6 and the TOTAL of female salaries is a multiple of 5.

The question asks us for the RATIO of males to females.

To solve this problem, I'm going to TEST Values....

Let's say that the TOTAL salaries for females is 15. This means that the TOTAL salaries for males is 18.

Let's also say that the AVERAGE female salary is 3. Since the TOTAL female salary is 15, this means there are 5 females.
Let's also say that the AVERAGE male salary is 2. Since the TOTAL male salary is 18, this means that there are 9 males.

The ratio of males to females is 9:5.

Final Answer: D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by vipinsharma » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:56 am
wow thank you so much sir !! Please suggest some tips to improve in maths?Like i get frustrated when i am unable to solve to question and dont study at all.

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:25 am
vipinsharma wrote:Man,this quant thing is weird:

The ratio of total amount distributed in all the males and females as salary is 6:5 .The ratio of salary of each male and female is 2:3 . Find the ratio of no. of males and females?

Please explain how to solve this question?

In the answer they did this: the Total salary of male:Total salary of female ::salary of each male:salary of each female

a:c:d

ad = cd
Options:
a)5:9 b)5:7 c)7:5 d)9:5 answer:D
ALTERNATE

Let's assume that Number of Male members are M and Female members are F

Question : M:F = ?

Given : total amount distributed in all the males and females as salary is 6:5

AND salary of each male and female is 2:3

i.e. if Salary on Male member = 2x
then Salary of Female member = 3x

Total Amount Given to Male = (2x)(M)
Total Amount Given to Female = (3x)(F)

Also, (2x)(M) : (3x)(F) = 6:5
i.e. (2M) : (3F) = 6:5
i.e. M:F = 9:5

Answer: Option D
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:30 am
Hi Vipin,

Since this question has only 4 options therefore I am worried if you are referring the correct Study material for GMAT Preparation.

GMAT not only requires the correct understanding of some basic topics of mathematics and Verbal but also requires the right approach towards it's preparation.

I suggest that one should refer to the appropriate study material while preparing for GMAT so that your focus is not shifted to problem that are not related to GMAT.

However this question certainly matches the types of GMAT question if there were 5 options instead of 4
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:15 am
Hi vipinsharma,

If you're looking for "math help", then I suggest that you visit Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). It's a free site that should help you learn whatever math you're currently not great at.

As far as feeling frustrated, remember that math is a set of rules and the rules never change. Learn the rules, practice and when you face a new question, think about how it reminds you of work that you've already done.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]