Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

radius of the circum circle

This topic has 1 expert reply and 5 member replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

sanju09 GMAT Instructor
Posted:
3596 messages
Followed by:
71 members
GMAT Score:
radius of the circum circle Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:56 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    What is the radius of the circum circle of the triangle whose sides are 5, 12 and 13 respectively?
    (A) 2
    (B) 6
    (C) 6 ½
    (D) 7 ½
    (E) 12

“The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room.”

~Frank Lucas

facebook

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Princeton-Review-Lucknow/153205671537507

Sanjeev K Saxena
    Quantitative Instructor
    The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
    Lucknow-226001
    Tel: +91-522- 6002178
    Cell:+91-9670999928
    www.manyagroup.com

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    manpsingh87 GMAT Destroyer!
    Posted:
    436 messages
    Followed by:
    6 members
    Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:07 am
    sanju09 wrote:
    What is the radius of the circum circle of the triangle whose sides are 5, 12 and 13 respectively?
    (A) 2
    (B) 6
    (C) 6 ½
    (D) 7 ½
    (E) 12
    its a pythagorus triplet of sides 5,12,13 therefore its area is 1/2*5*12=30

circum radius= abc/4 (area of a triangle)=5*12*13/4*30=6(1/2) hence C

GMAT/MBA Expert

sanju09 GMAT Instructor
    Posted:
    3596 messages
    Followed by:
    71 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:25 am
    manpsingh87 wrote:
    sanju09 wrote:
    (A) 2
    (B) 6
    (C) 6 ½
    (D) 7 ½
    (E) 12

This is not an ideal approach that could be commonly exercised by the test takers mainly when they come from various other branch of studies than mathematics.

Beside, radius of the circum circle of a right triangle happens to be half of its hypotenuse. Please tell us why?

~Frank Lucas

facebook

Sanjeev K Saxena
    Quantitative Instructor
    Lucknow-226001
    www.manyagroup.com

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Anurag@Gurome GMAT Instructor
    Posted:
    3835 messages
    Followed by:
    492 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:39 am
    sanju09 wrote:
    (A) 2
    (B) 6
    (C) 6 ½
    (D) 7 ½
    (E) 12
    The center of the circum circle of a triangle is the point of intersection of the perpendicular bisectors of the triangle.
    In this case the triangle with sides 5, 12, 13 is a right angled triangle, as (13)² = (12)² + (5)² holds true.
    In case of a right angled triangle, is the diameter of circum circle, and its center is exactly at the mid point of the hypotenuse. (You can imagine this as the situation wherein the diameter subtends a right angle at any point on the circumference of circle).
    Here hypotenuse = 13, so radius of circum circle = 13/2 = 6.5 units.

The correct answer is C.

1-800-566-4043 (USA)

Join Our Facebook Groups
    GMAT with Gurome
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/272466352793633/
    Admissions with Gurome
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/461459690536574/
    Career Advising with Gurome
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/360435787349781/

Posted:
    436 messages
    Followed by:
    6 members
    Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 am
    sanju09 wrote:
    manpsingh87 wrote:
    sanju09 wrote:
    (A) 2
    (B) 6
    (C) 6 ½
    (D) 7 ½
    (E) 12

This is not an ideal approach that could be commonly exercised by the test takers mainly when they come from various other branch of studies than mathematics.

Beside, radius of the circum circle of a right triangle happens to be half of its hypotenuse. Please tell us why?
    hi sanju its a theorem (may be thales ), according to which angle subtended by the diameter at circumference of the circle is right angle...!! i can prove the same thing for you but what's the purpose..???
    i've remember few Pythagoras triplets which i found recurring in most of the question..1!!!

if you don't like this method than offcourse you can always follow the hero's formula to evaluate it.!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

sanju09 GMAT Instructor
    Posted:
    3596 messages
    Followed by:
    71 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 am
    manpsingh87 wrote:
    sanju09 wrote:
    manpsingh87 wrote:
    sanju09 wrote:
    (A) 2
    (B) 6
    (C) 6 ½
    (D) 7 ½
    (E) 12

hi sanju its a theorem (may be thales ), according to which angle subtended by the diameter at circumference of the circle is right angle...!! i can prove the same thing for you but what's the purpose..???
    i've remember few Pythagoras triplets which i found recurring in most of the question..1!!!

if you don't like than offcourse you can always follow the hero's formula to evaluate it.!!!
    We really don't need to evaluate a thing using the Heron's formula in this problem in particular. Once we realize that the given is a right triangle, we must also realize that the radius of the circum circle of a right triangle happens to be half of its hypotenuse, and hypotenuse is 13 in our case whose half is (C) 6 ½, simple. Advance Trigonometric concepts like R = a b c/ (4 ∆) cannot be recommended to the common test takers for the same reason as I have cited before.

~Frank Lucas

facebook

Sanjeev K Saxena
    Quantitative Instructor
    Lucknow-226001
    www.manyagroup.com

Thanked by: manpsingh87
    Posted:
    436 messages
    Followed by:
    6 members
    Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:09 am
    sanju09 wrote:
    manpsingh87 wrote:
    sanju09 wrote:
    manpsingh87 wrote:
    sanju09 wrote:
    (A) 2
    (B) 6
    (C) 6 ½
    (D) 7 ½
    (E) 12

if you don't like than offcourse you can always follow the hero's formula to evaluate it.!!!
    We really don't need to evaluate a thing using the Heron's formula in this problem in particular. Once we realize that the given is a right triangle, we must also realize that the radius of the circum circle of a right triangle happens to be half of its hypotenuse, and hypotenuse is 13 in our case whose half is (C) 6 ½, simple. Advance Trigonometric concepts like R = a b c/ (4 ∆) cannot be recommended to the common test takers for the same reason as I have cited before.
    hmmm.. very interesting, the underlined part didn't came to my mind while solving it, any ways thanks for presenting a different view...!!!!!

Best Conversation Starters

1 j_shreyans 86 topics
    2 aditya8062 41 topics
    3 RiyaR 30 topics
    4 kamalakarthi 29 topics
    5 anksm22 27 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

170 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow