Quick Profile Review

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Quick Profile Review

by Pate13 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:58 am
Hello all,

I would be grateful if someone could quickly review my profile, and give their opinion on my chances at my target MBA programs. I am currently 24 years old.

- 3.27 overall GPA from a top private University in Texas, with a double major in Business and Economics. My last 4 semesters I had a 3.6 GPA, which included making Dean's list twice, adding a second major, and taking all but one upper level course
- Held an officer position in my University's Financial Analyst Program (this was a competitive program to be accepted into)
- Held multiple officer positions in my fraternity
- Currently working as an associate management consultant for a major international accounting firm ($4.2 billion revenue internationally in FY 2013)
- Plan to continue working in management consulting for 4-5 years before starting my MBA
- Haven't taken the GMAT yet, but I am aiming for a 700
- Will have at least my Certified Financial Services Auditor certification before starting, but am also aiming to have my PMP and CIA certifications

My top target programs are Columbia, Stern, Kellogg, and Booth. After my MBA, I want to focus in the financial area of consulting, or possibly work in VC/PE.

Opinions about my chances, and also how to strengthen my profile, are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:720

by fxmbaconsulting » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:52 am
Hi there - Sounds like you have the start of a solid profile. Are you still living in Texas? You don't mention any international experience or volunteer work. Those might be things to focus on in the next 4 years. If you are still living in Texas (and also went to school there) that would be something to think about. Schools look at location - and just to give you an example, a consulting job in McKinsey's NYC office vs their Charlotte office are not viewed in the same way.

Best,
Leah
Leah Derus
MIT Sloan MBA 2010
Senior Admissions Consultant
[email protected]
fxmbaconsulting.com

by Pate13 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:43 am
Thank you for your response!

I am actually going to start volunteering to tutor underprivileged children this upcoming school year.

I am still living in Texas, however I am hoping to relocate to New York before 2016. I am also very open to international assignments, it just depends on if the opportunity arises.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:27 pm
Hey there,

You're off to an amazing start. It's great that you're about to start volunteering but don't just go about ticking boxes. Take a step back, think strategy, think story. If giving back and philanthropy is something that is, and has been, important to you, then by all means focus on that. Go volunteer and execute pro bono engagements, etc.

But if that's not what makes you tick, that's ok. Involvement doesn't HAVE TO BE community. It just has to be NOT WORK. Schools want to see you're well rounded. Yes, they want people who give back, of course, but they also want people who'll get involved and have fun and take others along for the journey. You can also get involved within your firm outside of projects in either building social community or thought leadership or sales pipelines, etc. etc.

So think about what you want your application to say in a few years. Then work backwards. Not every story has to be how you change corporations during the day and you help underprivileged communities at night. You're not Batman :).

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by Pate13 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:22 pm
Thank you for the reply. I really like the concept of thinking about what I want my application to look like, and working backwards. That is great advice.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:28 am
Great - glad I could help! You're definitely a step or two ahead by being proactive. Good luck!

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by Pate13 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:57 pm
I'm pretty excited right now. I just took a practice GMAT on the Veritas website, completely cold, and scored a 650. I definitely think a 700, if not higher, is within reach. I was scared to take a practice test, because I was afraid of getting around a 550 and having too much of a point difference to expect around a 700.

Is the Veritas Prep worth the $750 for on-demand material?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:48 am
That's fantastic! You might want to post that question to one of the GMAT specific forums. Everyone studies a bit differently and so some people like the on-demand material, some prefer classes, and others get tutors. It's really up to how you work best but folks on that forum might be able to share their experiences with the various prep material!

Good luck with the prep!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter