Questions about your Kaplan Advanced Course

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760
I am interested in learning more about your Kaplan Advanced course. What percentage of students that take your Kaplan advance course score above 700? What is the average point improvement that students that take this course make? Also, there are 8 CATs according to the syllabus, do the CATs reuse questions from the material on the Kaplan premier cd? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:10 pm
No worries, I emailed Kaplan directly. Thanks for reading this though

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:30 pm
osirus0830 wrote:No worries, I emailed Kaplan directly. Thanks for reading this though
Sorry for not replying sooner - it's mid-crazy time for the LSAT (the LSAT is only offered 4 times a year and the next test is this Saturday), so my time on Beat the GMAT has been a bit more limited than usual.

If there are any questions that didn't get answered via email, let me know!

Stuart

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:53 pm
Sorry, I actually do have two more questions. How helpful do students find the feature in which they can take CATs under simulated conditions? Also, how good is the reading comprehension prep?

GMAT Instructor

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:58 pm
osirus0830 wrote:Sorry, I actually do have two more questions. How helpful do students find the feature in which they can take CATs under simulated conditions? Also, how good is the reading comprehension prep?
Students love that feature so much that we just expanded it!

Previously, students were only able to write 1 CAT at the actual test centre. The response was so overwhelmingly positive that we've now arranged for students to have the opportunity to write multiple CATs at the Pearson Vue centre.

One of the biggest issues that test takers have is test day stress, often caused by fear of the unknown. By experiencing exactly what test day is going to be like on one or more occasions, you won't have that issue at all (and will have a big advantage over those who haven't had that chance).

We don't actually recommend that you do all 9 CATs at the Pearson Vue centre (although you have that option), but we do recommend that you do so twice (once about halfway through the course and again 1-2 weeks before your actual GMAT).

As for reading comp, many feel that it's what separates us from other prep test companies. Some companies come right out and say that you can't study for RC, you just have it or you don't; we firmly disagree!

The main problem most people have with RC, especially those who have done well in school, is that they've been trained to read a specific way: for content with a heavy focus on details. On the GMAT, however, you're actually rewarded for reading very differently: for big ideas and structure. The Kaplan method for RC will help transform you into an effective strategic reader for the GMAT.

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:26 pm
Thanks for the detailed reply. I just read the business week article

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 272443.htm

Is it true that you guys spend more time on verbal than math? If so I just may be sold. My breakdown was Q 47 and V 38 :( so I would welcome more verbal...lol

GMAT Instructor

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:35 pm
osirus0830 wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply. I just read the business week article

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 272443.htm

Is it true that you guys spend more time on verbal than math? If so I just may be sold. My breakdown was Q 47 and V 38 :( so I would welcome more verbal...lol
In the classroom we spend roughly the same amount of time on both; however, there's a vast amount of online resources (I've never had a student come to me and say "I ran out of stuff to do, what next?") and you can tailor your use of them to your needs.