Question Pack 1 Hard SC 1

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

Question Pack 1 Hard SC 1

by richachampion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:36 pm
Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also new factual information may not get properly encoded into their memory circuits.

(A) Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also
(B) Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even
(C) If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even
(D) If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even
(E) If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:57 am
richachampion wrote:Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also new factual information may not get properly encoded into their memory circuits.

(A) Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also
(B) Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even
(C) If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even
(D) If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even
(E) If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also
A and B: Without sleep, people's skills and information may not get encoded
These options convey that people's SKILLS AND INFORMATION require sleep to get encoded.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A and B.

If an introductory pronoun lacks an antecedent, the referent for the pronoun must be the SUBJECT of the following clause.
C: If they do not have sleep, people's skills and information may not get encoded
Here, they (an introductory pronoun without an antecedent) seems to refer to skills and information (the subject of the following clause), conveying that SKILLS AND INFORMATION do not have sleep.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate C.

E: the adequate amount of sleep they need
Here, the portions in red are redundant:
an ADEQUATE amount of sleep = the NEEDED amount of sleep.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3