QUANT DRIVING ME CRAZY PLEASE HELP

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

QUANT DRIVING ME CRAZY PLEASE HELP

by ajohnson77 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:16 pm
This is my first post hello to all. I am 36 years old and have not taken a math class on the material tested in over 20 years. Needless to say I am unable to answer any problems from the OG 13th edition pages 20-26 as suggested in my daily emails from beat the gmat 60 study plan. Geometry, Algebra, fractions, decimals all gone, lost somewhere in the back of my mind. Please advise what books, websites (Magoosh or Gmatprepnow)should I use that will teach me in literally baby steps the concepts I need to know.The OG Quant book is more for practice which I cannot do since I don't know the material. I have the KAPLAN premier 2013 edition, but it seems they are more concerned with teaching you tricks to beat the exam and not focused to much on learning the material. My exam is on March 1st, I am aiming for a 570 or better on the exam 55% verbal, 45% Quant. Please advise should I get the Manhattan quant books, or there is another website like Mathhelp.com that teaches GMAT math a 1 month subscription is $50.00. I almost want to take the GRE to avoid all this math, but I have invested over 45 days so far just on verbal alone. BTW i am doing self study and I work full -time so a class is not an option. Please keep in mind I don't have a general idea of the material and would be like an 8th grader starting from scratch.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by KevinRocci » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:44 am
Howdy!

Welcome to the world of GMAT test prep!

I can understand your predicament. The math on the GMAT is very tough and not just about memorizing all those formulas from high school math class. They are testing our critical reasoning and our ability to creatively problem solve.

Here are some things that I would recommend:

First, if you are looking to rebuild those math skills, I wouldn't spend any money on books or software. I would start at Khan Academy. This is a completely free resource that starts at the very basics and builds up to very high level math. Lessons are broken down into discrete skills so it is easy to work on the aspects of your math skills that need the most work. Make an account and you'll be able to track your progress and see how much more you need to work on.

You mentioned possibly taking the GRE, but that you spent too much time preparing for the GMAT verbal. I want to say that it might not be a terribly idea. The GRE math is definitely easier, and the GRE Verbal is similar to the GMAT Verbal. The major difference between the two is that the GRE tests your academic vocabulary and the GMAT tests your grammar. Everything that you did to prepare for GMAT Verbal will help you on the GRE. You just need to learn the question types that test vocabulary. So, I am not sure how much time you have before your test, or if you signed up for the GMAT already, but I would keep the GRE on the table as a possibility. If you are feeling unsure, take a GRE practice test to see how you do. If you score in a higher percentile than you do on the GMAT, then you might want to consider the switch.

But either way, it sounds like you'll need to work on your math skills, so head over to Khan Academy to start practicing and building your skills. :)

I hope that this helps you on your path to grad school. :)

Cheers!