Profile Review / School Selection

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Review / School Selection

by darcknyht » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:54 am
Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for taking the time to read over this. I'll try to keep it as concise as possible.

23, male, born and partially raised in India, moved to the US young
GPA: 3.6 from Carnegie Mellon (Double major in Chemical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering), Honor's Research Student, Study abroad in Australia
GMAT: 730 (47Q, 43V)

Experience:

Currently a manufacturing supervisor at big pharma; I manage union workers (a def. challenge at times!!) and manage the daily operation of our production area. I also work 12 hour shifts, which limits my outside activities. I've been working here for ~18 mo.

Previously was at the Nat'l Inst. of Health through a fellowship I was awarded. I did research focused on a rare lysosomal disorder. (Don't know how this applies to b-school, if at all)

I also was one of the founders, was the president of, and was the captain of the rugby team at CMU. That basically took all of my extra/non-study time, minus some IM sports. I also made the college team in australia when I studied there for a semester (which was a big reason I went).

Schools:

My first/reach choice is Stanford, then HBS, and then in no def order: Darden, Kellogg, UCLA, Fuqua. I think I need at least one more, though this list is not set in stone by any means.

Plans:

I would like to study general mgmt and entrepaneurship.

**Are there any other schools you believe I should consider? I am having a hard time finalizing my list and choosing a "safety" school.

**What are my chances? I realize my young age is a negative..

Again, thank you so much for your time and advice.

-A

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Hey A,
Thanks for your post. You have a great background and are a strong candidate for a top MBA program.

Like you mentioned, your age might be a concern to AdCom, esp since you dont have a solid 2-3 years of 'constant' WE. Although some schools are trending down in age/WE requirements (particularly S and HBS).

As a younger applicant, it is important to address why this is the right time for you to get your MBA (rather than waiting a few years). Also, make sure you sell your fellowship experience; highlight any leadership/managerial/teamwork/analytical aspects of this position.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by darcknyht » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:54 pm
Hey Nikhil,

Thanks for the compliments and the advice! Both are helpful: the first for my confidence and the second for my strategy!

My real goal is to go to a top ten school, with Stanford and Harvard as my reach. I would like to study general mgmt and also study entrepreneurship. Are there any "safety" schools you might recommend that fit?

Thanks again,
A