Profile evaluation...thanks

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile evaluation...thanks

by Sunny143 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:46 pm
Hello Nikhil,

Here is my profile. Can you please look through it and suggest some guidance on the questions I have. Thanks.

Indian, Male, 29 yrs(will be 30+ when I start, if accepted!).

Education:
Engineer by profession, from a top state university in India(non IIT) and graduated with 80+%(top 10 of the class).
Acads have been strong throughout, scored more than 90% in both class X and XII( High School, was the class topper).

GMAT: 700(48Q, 38V) --- >80 percentile in both.

My strenght is my work ex which is as follows:
Work Experience
-Working as a portfolio manager in the US for the last 2 years( one of the youngest portfolio managers in my company which is a huge global IT blue chip)
-Total Experience 7.5 years...will be 9+ when I apply in 2010.
-Manage X million USD in revenue
-Manage 40+ people both from a project perspective as well from a career manager perspective
-Strong numerical results to show in terms of revenue, PTI, client sat index etc
-Top Talent in my organization( the executive grooming pipeline) - Only a few get nominated and continue.

So, though my demographics are not my strong point( Indian, M, IT) but I hope my work ex gives me an edge since I have had continuous progress thoughout my short career.
I can get good recos I believe and write good essays I hope!

Extracurrics
Not a very strong point in my app but I do have a few.
I am the US state lead for my state for practitioners from my company who come to my state. I have executed this role for the past 2 years and lead a team of around 15 in the state, corodinating get togethers, team building exercises, acting as a single point of contact, providing feedback on company policies etc.

Also, I have founded a couple of technical clubs in my company which I led for a couple of years before moving on.

I am a part of https://www.kiva.org. Its a NGO committed to provide resources to entrepreneur in developing countries using microfinancing techniques. I am active member of this org and regularly help out folks in need.

My target is 1 year( I guess it makes sense with my demographics and exp....doesn't it?) course and since I want to work in Asia in general and India in particular post MBA, I am looking at the following schools as below:
Also, I want to be in IT post MBA, so, I want to advance my career in IT without any switch and may be add the strategy dimension to my profile.

Wharton MBA ( this is a kind dream school you might say....)
INSEAD
ISB
IIMA, 1 year
IIMC, 1 year

Specifically interested to know my chances
Kellog
Hass
Ross/MIT

My questions to you specifically:

1. How do u evaluate my chances for INSEAD and Wharton specifically....Any other schools I should look at that may have a 1 year course. I know wharton is 2 years but as I said its a dream school and I will make an exception if accepted....
2. How are my chances at Kellog/Ross/Hass/MIT?
3. Any particular weakness that I should focus and try to improve upon? I dont intend to give the GMAT again as a 20-30 point increase will not get me into any school that 700 wouldn't....whats your thought on this?
4. semester due to a medical reason which I completed soon afterwards. I believe I should make it clear to the adcom upfront rather than being asked about it?
5. Do u think with around 9 years of WE( when I apply), my profile would loose its edge( as you are expected to do managerial stuff with that exp anyway...isn't it?). Should I apply earlier?
6. Is it ok to quote from your appraisal reviews(year end appraisal by your managers) in your essays?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time in providing some expert guidance.

-Sunny

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:40 pm
Hi Sunny,
Thanks for your post. You have a fantastic profile and are a good candidate for the schools listed below.

But... If you have read my posts, you probably know my next comment - unfortunately, you are in one of the most competitive applicant pool - Indians with IT/Engineering background.

Therefore your biggest challenge is how to best differentiate yourself. What makes you unique from the thousands of Indian applicants that will apply to the same schools with similar stats (good GMAT, GPA, ECs, solid work experience).

Since you have a lot going for you, make sure you bring all of your experiences together in your essay. Try to find common themes that link all of your WE and extra curricular activities. You also want to communicate very clear post-MBA goals. Make sure you articulate your post-MBA career (both short term and long term) and how your pre-MBA WE and the MBA will help you achieve your career goals.

I do think you are competitive for the US schools mentioned below. But it is hard to truly gauge your candidacy since this year is expected to be ultra competitive for admissions into top MBA programs (given the downturn in the US/World economy).

(I am not an expert on international schools, so I cant add much insight into your candidacy there).

If you are interested in a 1yr program, only Kellogg (of the schools mentioned) have a 1yr program.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Thanks.,

by Sunny143 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:44 am
VP_MBA_Guru wrote:Hi Sunny,
Thanks for your post. You have a fantastic profile and are a good candidate for the schools listed below.

But... If you have read my posts, you probably know my next comment - unfortunately, you are in one of the most competitive applicant pool - Indians with IT/Engineering background.

Therefore your biggest challenge is how to best differentiate yourself. What makes you unique from the thousands of Indian applicants that will apply to the same schools with similar stats (good GMAT, GPA, ECs, solid work experience).

Since you have a lot going for you, make sure you bring all of your experiences together in your essay. Try to find common themes that link all of your WE and extra curricular activities. You also want to communicate very clear post-MBA goals. Make sure you articulate your post-MBA career (both short term and long term) and how your pre-MBA WE and the MBA will help you achieve your career goals.

I do think you are competitive for the US schools mentioned below. But it is hard to truly gauge your candidacy since this year is expected to be ultra competitive for admissions into top MBA programs (given the downturn in the US/World economy).

(I am not an expert on international schools, so I cant add much insight into your candidacy there).

If you are interested in a 1yr program, only Kellogg (of the schools mentioned) have a 1yr program.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

NP
Thanks a lot Nikhil...you make a good point about the increase in the apps to top schools this year...but 2 things here...I am planning to start the app process next year for a seat in 2010 and also since its a downturn in the US mostly...how likely is it going to affect my pool?

Thanks for your insights again...

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:11 am
Hi Sunny,

Sorry, I didn't realize you were applying in 2010. I am glad you are thinking about the admissions process now. Its never to early to start preparing mentally for the application process next year.

Its hard to say what the 2010 admissions year will look like, because applicants to bschools are often tied to the economy. So its difficult to say what will happen. That said, I think because this year will be so competitive, next year will also be a competitive year (maybe not as bad as this year), as many who didnt get in this year will apply next year.

Hope that helps,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep