Profile Evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by bussy123 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:53 pm
Hi I just took the GMAT and did slightly worse than expected. I got a 680 and plan on taking it again and hopefully scoring in the low 700's where all of my practice tests were. For the purposes of this evaluation let's say that I don't improve. My math was in the 69% and verbal in the 87%. I did do well in math driven classes i.e. finance, econ and accounting.

I had a 3.44 GPA from Boston University majoring in International Business.

I have worked at a boutique real estate investment firm for 3 years and have gained more and more responsibility throughout my time here-working directly with our partners and traveling throughout the US to look at new potential acquisitions. I also oversee 6 properties and oversee about 1 million square feet--managing staffs in each of the buildings. My concerns are that it is not a name brand company and that, although my responsibilities and pay have increased throughout the years, there are no titles here so I guess I have not received an official "Promotion".

I have also become a "team leader" in a local community service organization, volunteering fairly regularly.

Anyway-my target schools are Duke, Cornell, Georgetown or NYU. Do you think I have a good shot? Any other schools that you believe would be in my range in the top 25? Would I have any shot at Dartmouth?

Thanks-

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:20 pm
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.

Your list of schools seems very reasonable to me, and yes I think you have a shot at Tuck although it's somewhat of a stretch. Your GMAT Quant score is low, so if it doesn't come up do write the optional essay focusing on your quant grades in college, but overall your GMAT is within the 80% range for all of your schools, and right at the median for Georgetown.

It sounds like you have a really solid overall profile - increasing responsibility and real leadership and management experience, along with community involvement. I don't think you need to worry particularly about the "name brand" aspect - use your essays and resume to highlight the progression and scope of your work and results. Your references can also show this. B-schools understand the lack of promotion opportunities at a small firm - and also the increased scope someone who works there can take on.

Best of luck
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Thanks

by bussy123 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:15 pm
Jessica-I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks a lot.