This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by amitmishra012 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:14 am
Hi,

Can you please evaluate my profile?

GMAT: 720
TOEFL: 108
Undergrad: BE Computer Engineering from Maharaja Sayajirao University, India, 3.7 GPA
CFA Level II candidate
Workexp: 7 years - 2 years for small start up company, 5 years for Infosys technologies

Worked as a Business Analyst/Associate PM in a financial client for 3 years in US.

Involved in various extra curricular activities at school and college level. Won few elocution and painting competitions.

Weakness: Left work in mid of 2007 to take care of my kid. My kid had some health issues at that time and could not continue working. Once he was doing good, decided to come back to workforce in 2008, but due to visa restrictions and the economic conditions could not find any suitable options. So decided to study further, started with CFA and then moved on GMAT, TOEFL for MBA program.

Target Schools: UCLA,USC,Loyola Marymount (cannot relocate from southern california because of family reasons)

Does my profile look good enough for the schools I am targetting for?
Do you think after 2-3 year gap, I can get into UCLA or USC?
Are there any other colleges I should add to my list?

Thanking you in anticipation
Amit

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:00 am
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.

You have a solid academic profile and before you had to stop working, had several years at one company, presumably with increasing levels of responsibility. Do you still have references from that job that could support you? If your current work situation were more typical I would say that on these dimensions, your profile is reasonable for the schools.

But you have left out some big elements of your profile that would be helpful. First, what have you been doing for the last year or so since your son got better? You mention the CFA, which is great, but what else? Have you been volunteering? Shadowing someone in your field? Interning? Schools sometimes take applicants who are returning to the workforce after an absence, but they want to see that you made good use of that time.

Secondly, not just related to the last year or so, what is your profile outside of work. What activities are you involved in?

Finally, you do face a challenge of being part of an overrepresented demoraphic, which makes the answers to my questions even more important in terms of giving you a robust answer.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php