Profile evaluation

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation

by ramya_ganesan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:30 am
Can someone help me on my profile evaluation and chances of getting a good university for a full time mba program

UG : bachelor of engineering, computer science
Gpa:4 (91%)

Years of experience: 12
Worked in financial industry as a software consultant
Have experience in working in countries like india , germany, singapore and london.

Gmat score 570 . Q46 v23 IR 5

I understand my scores are not that great but can you help me understand how good or bad the score is .
Do i need to take Gmat again?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:51 pm
Thanks for sharing.

As a guide, the top 30 MBA programs would have average GMAT scores of 670 and above. Having a score below the average does not exclude a candidate from consideration but chances would be better if you can score closer to the average.

Check on your target programs' Average GMAT scores and ranges to get a better idea. The decision to retake would also be impacted by how confident you feel about scoring higher given more time or resources, such as test prep services.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by uniq01 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:18 pm
Hi Ramya,

Do you have some target schools in mind? There could be broad definitions for 'good universities' - top 10 requirements are not quite comparable to top 30 but they are all considered good schools. Once you narrow this down, you can tailor your application strategy and decisions based on your target list.

In my opinion it may be challenging to get into FT programs of top 10 schools with your GMAT score, though certainly not impossible. For any competitive MBA program, you'll want to present yourself as a stand out candidate who also has the aptitude to do well in a rigorous 2 year program; the GMAT is a convenient barometer of such aptitude for most schools. As such, I would recommend taking the GMAT again if you're targeting these high ranking universities. Some schools place a lower emphasis on GMAT and want to see what else you're about - your 12 years of experience is a great asset so use it to your advantage. It's important to show progression (e.g, increasing leadership responsibility, promotions, etc.) throughout your decade long career.

The fact that you have an engineering and computer science degree with a good GPA can help offset a lower GMAT score. However, it also matters what school you obtained your degree from. More importantly, start thinking about WHY you want an MBA and why now? This is a critical part of your story.

That said, I have worked with clients who have had GMAT scores in the 600 range and gotten into very good schools so you shouldn't lose hope. You may want to consider PT or Executive programs since you have so many years of work experience, and they sometimes tend to have slightly lower GMAT average scores.

Good luck!
uniqMBA Admissions Consulting
https://www.uniqmba.com
Follow @uniqmba

Contact us for a free initial consultation!