Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation!

by avatsavirsluhem » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:40 am
All,
Request you all to please evaluate my profile:
Male, Indian, 31 Years old.
Expected GMAT : Around 680 - 700 ( Writing on 7th Feb 2015 )
Total Experience - 8 years
Education : BTech in Information Technology
CGPA : 6.6/ 10.
10th - 67%
12th - 68%

Extra Curricular :
"¢ Passionate Trekker and lead a team of 4 to Roopkund (16k ft) apart from that sucessfully completed Chopta (13k ft), Rupin (15k), Gurudongmar (18k)
"¢ Photography - Have my own blog with reasonable number of hits :)
"¢ Active member of Corporate Trekking Team

Work Ex :
"¢ Currently working in a Market Research and Consulting firm as a Sourcing lead, have an experience of around 96 months as of today.
"¢ Independently lead 3 global accounts on which I have been able to increase the revenue from $25k to over $600k within just a year. Accountable for client servicing, delivery and revenue generation.
"¢ Brought down cost overheads and directly contributing to the bottom line thus increasing overall savings from 13% to 22% in FY13-14'. Absolute saving of more than 1.5 million USD.
"¢ Instrumental in increasing the sales conversion from 6% to 14% within a span of a year.
"¢ Seasoned player and expert in providing end to end research solutions.
"¢ Was moved from operations to sales purely on performance basis, was interviewed internally by various business ahead before this transition happened.
"¢ The only drawback I see is that I have hopped 5 jobs in the span on 8 years - will that be a problem?

Goals : Post my MBA, I want to move into Strategic Consulting or Product/Brand Management ( More inclined towards Strategic Consulting though).

Recommendations : Will get recommendations from my Boss (Senior Director - APAC Sales and Sourcing Head) and One of the Country Manager in India of a renowned Market Research firm (My client :)).

Colleges Targeting ( With Some Financial Assistance) :
"¢ UNC Kenan Flagler
"¢ Wisconsin MBA
"¢ Terry - Michigan
"¢ Sloan
"¢ Emory

Please guide me with the selection and would like to go with a college who is more liberal in terms of scholarships and can provide upfront GA/TA.

I have decided only on the above mentioned colleges till now. I'd rather want to go with full scol - what are the odds?
Along with the above, I want to move fast and planning for a 2015 admit so I know for a fact it is going to be challenging but I just can't wait for another year before I get too old for a B School.

Thanks in Advance �

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:41 pm
To be honest, you're putting the cart before the horse :). If you haven't taken the GMAT yet and aren't planning on doing that until February, then you should focus on that for the time being. Once you have a score in hand, then let's talk about schools and chances. Because until then, it's really hypothetical!

Good luck with the test!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:17 am
Hi there

GMAT is an important part of your overall application, so to shortlist schools before you actually have a score is not really an ideal strategy. However, if you've been getting consistently high scores in your mocks, you might want to do that.

Your extra-curricular activities and work ex are good, and you seem to have a fair idea of the application requirements.

However, you mention that you're going to write the GMAT in Feb. You're going to miss the bus most probably in that case, my friend. Most of the R2 deadlines would have passed by that time (and for some schools, the deadline for Int'l students), and your chances of getting a scholarship would take a huge hit. I don't think this is an ideal strategy to work with when you're looking to get an admit for next year.

You are short on time, and will probably need to work on your GMAT and applications in parallel. Can be done, but will require considerable efforts from your side.

If you're looking for help on GMAT, we do have some awesome resources - https://www.genedmba.com/services/gmat-preparation/

I'd urge you to start very soon if you are really keen on an admit next year. Get in touch to discuss what strategy would suit you best!

Good Luck!
avatsavirsluhem wrote:All,
Request you all to please evaluate my profile:
Male, Indian, 31 Years old.
Expected GMAT : Around 680 - 700 ( Writing on 7th Feb 2015 )
Total Experience - 8 years
Education : BTech in Information Technology
CGPA : 6.6/ 10.
10th - 67%
12th - 68%

Extra Curricular :
"¢ Passionate Trekker and lead a team of 4 to Roopkund (16k ft) apart from that sucessfully completed Chopta (13k ft), Rupin (15k), Gurudongmar (18k)
"¢ Photography - Have my own blog with reasonable number of hits :)
"¢ Active member of Corporate Trekking Team

Work Ex :
"¢ Currently working in a Market Research and Consulting firm as a Sourcing lead, have an experience of around 96 months as of today.
"¢ Independently lead 3 global accounts on which I have been able to increase the revenue from $25k to over $600k within just a year. Accountable for client servicing, delivery and revenue generation.
"¢ Brought down cost overheads and directly contributing to the bottom line thus increasing overall savings from 13% to 22% in FY13-14'. Absolute saving of more than 1.5 million USD.
"¢ Instrumental in increasing the sales conversion from 6% to 14% within a span of a year.
"¢ Seasoned player and expert in providing end to end research solutions.
"¢ Was moved from operations to sales purely on performance basis, was interviewed internally by various business ahead before this transition happened.
"¢ The only drawback I see is that I have hopped 5 jobs in the span on 8 years - will that be a problem?

Goals : Post my MBA, I want to move into Strategic Consulting or Product/Brand Management ( More inclined towards Strategic Consulting though).

Recommendations : Will get recommendations from my Boss (Senior Director - APAC Sales and Sourcing Head) and One of the Country Manager in India of a renowned Market Research firm (My client :)).

Colleges Targeting ( With Some Financial Assistance) :
"¢ UNC Kenan Flagler
"¢ Wisconsin MBA
"¢ Terry - Michigan
"¢ Sloan
"¢ Emory

Please guide me with the selection and would like to go with a college who is more liberal in terms of scholarships and can provide upfront GA/TA.

I have decided only on the above mentioned colleges till now. I'd rather want to go with full scol - what are the odds?
Along with the above, I want to move fast and planning for a 2015 admit so I know for a fact it is going to be challenging but I just can't wait for another year before I get too old for a B School.

Thanks in Advance �
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]