Varsity Tutors

Profile evaluation request!

This topic has 2 expert replies and 2 member replies
Danition Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
3 messages

Profile evaluation request!

Post Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:54 am
Hey there! I was wondering if you could help me with my profile!

Target schools: HBS, Tuck (my dream), CBS, Yale, Cornell

Race: White
Marital status: Married for 3 years.
Nationality: Finland, a country that only sends 0-3 applications across ALL top 10 schools per year (usually 0). MBA isn't really a thing there.
GMAT: 740, healthy split with strong verbal

Education:
- Bachelor of military science, Army academy (Think Westpoint). Graduated top 30% of my class. Major Strategy, minor Leadership. Specialization Logistics.
- Master of business intelligence and information management. Graduated with 7.899/10 --> Translates into 3.9 US GPA according to the official transcript.

Professional background:
- 2 years as a Lieuetenant in a logistics company. Platoon commander. Higher than normal responsibilities as I also trained my superior officers to use the newly implemented complex logistics system. Trained soldiers going into operations abroad.
- Left the military to work full-time for a CPG-startup as a COO (pro-bono). 14 months. Made high impact and have measurable proof. Productivity went up by over 20%.
- Simultaneously worked part-time for a market research company for their international and government clients to gain knowledge in business.

- After my master's degree I have been working for a Fortune 10 Oil-company in the Netherlands. 2 years in matriculation. Rotational leadership fast-track program.

Have had a lasting impact through leading a project that seeks to increase the overall capacity of the company through technology.

Extracurriculars:

- At the Fortune 10 I am part of an environmental voluntary program
- Worked in supporting WW2-veteran rights for years. Have planned and organised fundraisers and held speeches.
- Lions club for over 4 years. Have organised a fundraiser to raise money for ALS-patients.
- Founder and President of my university's management consulting club.
- Travelled to 61 countries, speak 4 languages.
- Avid hiker and nature lover

Short term plans: Transition into MBB management consulting (turning focus on my expertise (Oil/energy, project management etc.) asap
Long term plans: Move into greentech

So to recap: Applicant from a very rare country with army officer background who has startup-experience that makes sense and ties to current job and now works in oil/energy with a twist of specializing in business tech (NOT IT!)

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Top Reply
Post Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:04 am
Danition wrote:
Thank you for your kind words! And you hit right on the spot with your reference to free education. Most of my friends considers me mentally insane for paying 200k for my education!

I do have one question I was hoping you could answer!

While scouting through the different schools' profiles I saw that energy-industry isn't very strongly represented among the enrolling students. I was wondering if the reason is because there aren't a lot of applicants from energy in general or if the industry itself isn't perceived by schools as interesting? I guess what I am trying to gauge is whether I am facing a tougher or easier path to admission due to my current work.

Would greatly appreciate if you could help find clarity on the issue Smile
I certify. You are insane. But maybe also very clever Smile

The reason for what you mention is simple, its that percentage wise, the energy industry is smaller and also represented differently. You have a LOT of people in energy getting tech/operations/non MBA degree and there are only a limited amount of managers and entrepreneurs. Whereas if you look at the two biggest populations for MBAs it will always be Finance and Consulting. Why? Because that's ALL they know and do - EVERY single employee in Finance and consulting can benefit from an MBA. But what would they do with a high-end engineering degree? Smile

anyhow, in general, this is to your advantage. It makes your profile more rare and stronger.

Best,
JF

Check out our packages: http://bit.ly/1SyngNR
Read our success stories: http://bit.ly/1qohrfA

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
3 messages
Top Reply
Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:18 am
Still hoping to hear your thoughts on my question! Smile

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Post Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:04 am
Danition wrote:
Thank you for your kind words! And you hit right on the spot with your reference to free education. Most of my friends considers me mentally insane for paying 200k for my education!

I do have one question I was hoping you could answer!

While scouting through the different schools' profiles I saw that energy-industry isn't very strongly represented among the enrolling students. I was wondering if the reason is because there aren't a lot of applicants from energy in general or if the industry itself isn't perceived by schools as interesting? I guess what I am trying to gauge is whether I am facing a tougher or easier path to admission due to my current work.

Would greatly appreciate if you could help find clarity on the issue Smile
I certify. You are insane. But maybe also very clever Smile

The reason for what you mention is simple, its that percentage wise, the energy industry is smaller and also represented differently. You have a LOT of people in energy getting tech/operations/non MBA degree and there are only a limited amount of managers and entrepreneurs. Whereas if you look at the two biggest populations for MBAs it will always be Finance and Consulting. Why? Because that's ALL they know and do - EVERY single employee in Finance and consulting can benefit from an MBA. But what would they do with a high-end engineering degree? Smile

anyhow, in general, this is to your advantage. It makes your profile more rare and stronger.

Best,
JF

Check out our packages: http://bit.ly/1SyngNR
Read our success stories: http://bit.ly/1qohrfA

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
3 messages
Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:18 am
Still hoping to hear your thoughts on my question! Smile

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 67 topics
3 swerve 66 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 59 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

213 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

177 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

133 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

126 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts