26 years old
Bachelors in Electrical Engineering, Minor in Economics
Well recognized tech university in north east US
Cumulative GPA = 3.1
Math GPA = 3.65
Economics GPA = 3.7

GMAT = 700(90%), Q49(85%), V35(70%)

Work experience approx 3 years:
6 months - Internship in semiconductor industry in silicon valley (Junior Year)

6 months - Internship at GE Consumer & Industrial (Senior Year)

10 months - Analyst at HR Consulting firm (not in US, making the most of what was possible in the job market of end 2008). Started out as analyst, got internally recognized and responsibilities increased to associate project manager, title remained associate as company believed in a culture where everyone had the same title, even my manager and his manager. Company records will not "show" promotion due to this reason.

1 year and counting - Healthcare industry, innovations group, clinical analytics, analyst role. I believe such a group does not exist in most healthcare systems, thus my work experience might be a little unique. As our group is closely tied with leadership and because we are the innovation group, a lot of our work can be considered high-impact and in most cases "pilot" or "cutting edge".

One negative point: I have 8 months of gap post graduation wherein I was job hunting and going through the motions of the worst hiring phase in 70 years. To better utilize my time, I took a couple of financial courses (from a continuing education dept of a local recognized university) as I had a strong interest in finance (also mentioned in my "interests" at the bottom of my post). Then, one could even say I took some initiative to look internationally and found work abroad. Deciding to move back to the US to gain experience in the country of my degree, I had another 8 month gap between jobs. I spent this time frame in GMAT prep and some local volunteering work. This gap would have been 5 months if not for the 3 month wait for security clearances and other legalities to be sorted out (typical when joining healthcare).

Story:
Short term goal is to stay within healthcare, work for a healthcare system that puts a special emphasis on improving quality, reducing costs and providing improved care for patients. I would also want to learn more about and explore the Biotech and Pharmaceutical industry.
I would like to work on assignments as diverse as, but not limited to, revenue cycle optimization, operations improvement, merger integration, supply chain strategy, clinical information system selection and implementation, information management strategy, clinical trials, comparative effectiveness, and medical management.
I would, however, not want to put all my eggs in one basket and apply to only healthcare mba's. Would still prefer to keep some options open.

EC's:
Sports:
School:
- Captain of high school cricket and badminton teams. Member of high school soccer and table tennis teams.
- Awarded runners up performance award for inter high school badminton tournament.
- Awarded multiple certificates of performance in cricket tournaments including MVP.
- Performances in cricket and soccer covered by national press. Couple instances of headlining my name.
University:
- Awarded MVP in inter collegiate cricket tournament. Captain of cricket team.
- Captain of winning soccer team in the university intramurals.

Volunteering:
- Performed social service at Blind Relief Association (India)
- Member and volunteer for cultural group in college - organizing and setting up events
- At GE, initiated and organized a program to help young children with their homework at a local church
- Active member and volunteer at Ronald McDonald House
- Active member and volunteer at March of Dimes - March for Babies

Leadership:
At GE: Selected President of Intern committee
- Headed multiple committees of recycling, round table, social and newsletter; set goals, planned & achieved targets.
- Analyzed requirements of interns and consulted senior company executives to provide solutions.
- Mentored new interns regarding equipment, tests and procedures to increase their efficiency and productivity.

At HR Consulting company: Towards the end stage of my role as an analyst and then in my associate project manager role, I was responsible for mentoring 3 new associates in the auditing process.

Additional Points:
- Teenage model for international brands such as Pepsi, Canon, Fujifilm, Suzuki motors, HP, Kodak, Discovery Channel
- Interests: Financial market, automobiles, various genres of music, sports (soccer, tennis, cricket),
- Hobbies: Follow financial market, play sports (soccer, tennis), fitness.

Focus Schools:
Top 10, Top 20. Yet to eliminate options, was hoping to get good feedback here.

I have tried to provide as much detail as I could think of at the moment, please post honest responses to:

1) Which schools might be a good match and why
2) Pros and cons of my profile
3) What mix of schools should I be applying to?

Thanks so much! I look forward to your valuable insight!
Last edited by slique12 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:22 members

by throughmba » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am
Well...I like your profile. Truly it has so much to feed the essays.

The colleges which are like must for your profile : Haas, Duke, Stern and Kellogg. Keep UNC as safe bet.

Pro: All criteria met, diversity
Cons: "Real Goal not coming out as a mission"
ThroughMBA Consulting
The No. 1 B-School Admission Consulting of U.K. is now the most Affordable.

https://throughmba.com
email : [email protected]

Alex Wilkins
Senior Admission Consultant, ThroughMBA.com
Panelist | MBA Admissions Achievers Meet
Interviewer | MIT Sloan | Former
Management Consultant | McKinsey & Company | Former

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by slique12 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:22 am
Updated work history with a negative point I missed out on.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:42 pm
Stuff is looking pretty good! The top five schools might be a bit tough, but you have a chance with beautiful essays, so go for them anyways. Just makes sure you build a strong strategy overall.
As for your school choice, first of all, let me say that there is nothing "Eggs in the basket" about applying to schools that have strong healthcare programs, because there are so many.

Wharton, Fuqua and Kellogg all have veeeeery strong MBA programs which incorporate a health care emphasis. Wharton has a Health Care Management major, with faculty from the Business, Medical and Nursing schools of the University of Pennsylvania. Kellogg has the Health Industry Management (HIM), really one of the top in the US. Fuqua had a great med school and is near Research Triangle Park, a heaven for healthcare job seekers. You also have Sloan,(Biomedical Enterprise Program) Haas (Healthcare certificate) and Columbia. IF this is relevant you can also look into double degree programs that incorporate a Healtcare program with an MBA for example an MBA-MHA, or a MBA-MPH.

Hope this helps!!!
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by slique12 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:20 am
throughmba wrote:Well...I like your profile. Truly it has so much to feed the essays.

The colleges which are like must for your profile : Haas, Duke, Stern and Kellogg. Keep UNC as safe bet.

Pro: All criteria met, diversity
Cons: "Real Goal not coming out as a mission"
Thanks for your reply. And I completely agree with the "goal" not defined well at this stage. That is on my agenda along with school selection for the next 2-3 days.

I am curious to know if my cumulative gpa and gap in work experiences need to be addressed? If yes, what are the possible ways one might do that? If one route is the essays, then which type of essays would such a topic be appropriate in?

Lastly, can you just provide an overview of your criteria for providing the schools mentioned in your 1st post? I ask because I would love to know which schools are a good match and why.

Thanks a lot:-)

Legendary Member

by throughmba » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:10 am
For the low GPA the steps are simple

1) Own it. Give reasons not excuses.
2) Subtly say that it was a digression and it doesnt represent your actual intellectual capacity or that is how you deal with academic endeavor.

3) Your GMAT has saved you around 80 percent.
4) 3.1 is not that low, yet you should say that you intend to prove that you are 3.8 material

Its mostly the flow which makes believe.

For gap, tell them the actuals with reasons. Its normal to have gaps. Don't worry.

My overview is based on Birkman's method. Its a comprehensive profile matching tools with the profile of similar admit profiles of last 10 years.

Best of Luck
ThroughMBA Consulting

Alex Wilkins

"Regardless of who you are or what you have been, You can make what you want to be."

by slique12 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:00 am
PrecisionEssay wrote:Stuff is looking pretty good! The top five schools might be a bit tough, but you have a chance with beautiful essays, so go for them anyways. Just makes sure you build a strong strategy overall.
As for your school choice, first of all, let me say that there is nothing "Eggs in the basket" about applying to schools that have strong healthcare programs, because there are so many.

Wharton, Fuqua and Kellogg all have veeeeery strong MBA programs which incorporate a health care emphasis. Wharton has a Health Care Management major, with faculty from the Business, Medical and Nursing schools of the University of Pennsylvania. Kellogg has the Health Industry Management (HIM), really one of the top in the US. Fuqua had a great med school and is near Research Triangle Park, a heaven for healthcare job seekers. You also have Sloan,(Biomedical Enterprise Program) Haas (Healthcare certificate) and Columbia. IF this is relevant you can also look into double degree programs that incorporate a Healtcare program with an MBA for example an MBA-MHA, or a MBA-MPH.

Hope this helps!!!
Jon! Thanks for the valuable information. I guess what I meant by "eggs in one basket" is that some healthcare programs like Wharton require the applicant to specify their choice while applying. I am guessing that this is not the norm? If not, then I see what you mean because one could simply apply to good mba schools with known healthcare emphasis yet also have the flexibility after being admitted.

Strategy is definitely on my agenda as I am currently working on short term and long term goals. I was thinking it would be helpful to add a personal goal in addition to the professional goal when looking long term as it would "humanize" my essays, especially when my perspective is stemming from a healthcare background. I would make sure that the personal goal is in some way inspired by my experience within healthcare. As an example: Based on my volunteering experience and the impact of my work in this industry, I have thought of a long term vision of initiating and setting up a NGO when I am more financially stable where the focus would be "healthcare" related. Thoughts?

I will ask the same question I asked "throughmba": I am curious to know if my cumulative gpa and gap in work experiences need to be addressed? If yes, what are the possible ways one might do that? If one route is the essays, then which type of essays would such a topic be appropriate in? I am having trouble imagining how one can just "fit" such information when obviously one is focused on writing about other things.

Also, I have read that coming from a not-for-profit background is usually a plus? The healthcare system I work in is a large organization and very well known in my state. Yet it is also a not-for-profit organization? Is there any way I could use this to my advantage?

Lastly, and thank you for reading thus far, can I ask what schools would be some picks you might recommend a person with my background, diversity and profile? And why? Food for thought: Maybe some top schools are more linient towards below average gpa's, maybe some top schools like healthcare applicants, etc? Would it be that schools NOT known for their healthcare mba programs would be suspicious of my goals since my entire goal strategy is built on staying within healthcare?

I really appreciate your time and feedback!

by slique12 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:37 am
If possible, waiting on some more insights from experts on the forum.

Thanks

Legendary Member

by throughmba » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:51 pm
slique12 wrote:If possible, waiting on some more insights from experts on the forum.

Thanks
If one route is the essays, then which type of essays would such a topic be appropriate in?

It should always be in the optional essays. Its like your clarification letter. It shouldnt be mentioned anywhere.
Lastly, and thank you for reading thus far, can I ask what schools would be some picks you might recommend a person with my background, diversity and profile?
We do this study based on Birkman's method and this will require you to fill a few questions. Send me a mail.
And why?
Similarity with admits in profile, background,achievements, goals etc.
Maybe some top schools are more linient towards below average gpa's, maybe some top schools like healthcare applicants, etc?
Exactly, there are. But that can only be claimed statistically. As an example there are BSchools who state that we take students with overall leadership qualities and still be admitting students in the 680-760 range only(on their website). It means this score range is the truth and thinking below this is statistically improbable. So how will somebody ascertain that which school is lenient on a particular dimension. Its through collecting data and matching them applicants with admits. Birkman's method does that in our case.
Would it be that schools NOT known for their healthcare mba programs would be suspicious of my goals since my entire goal strategy is built on staying within healthcare?

Opinion wise the motherhood question will be: Will he/she be a good addition with the goal he states? Will he have a good career? Will he be among the best guys for the recruiters(healthcare or no healthcare)?

I think your goal definition to be in healthcare sounds totally coherent.
ThroughMBA Consulting

Alex Wilkins