Profile Evaluation please

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation please

by arags01 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:40 pm
Hi Stacy,

I retook the GMAT last night and unfortunately ended up with the same score (Q 47 V 30 - 640). I had been scoring in the 720s on my practice tests and I have no idea what went wrong. I am interested in applying next year and would like to target 1 ultra, 1 semi and 2 top 10-20 schools (for ex. Chicago, Michigan, Duke and Stern). I might give GMAT one more shot..but only after my applications.

Here's some background on me..I graduated from the Ohio State University (major:Industrial Engineering, minor: Info. Systems) with an overall GPA of 3.25. I am a consultant at Deloitte and have been working in the Healthcare IT field for about 3+ years. Prior to joining Deloitte, I worked for a Healthcare software company (Cerner) for about 2 years. I am interested in pursuing a marketing strategy career and would like to combine my healthcare experience as well. Due to my constant travel, I am unable to actively participate in community service events but I do volunteer occasionally. I have been invited to help organize a basketball tournament for the Multiple Sclerosis society in Chicago and will be involved with the event from Nov-Jan. I wanted to enhance my public speaking skills and therefore joined Toastmasters in Oakland, CA (Feb-current). I am also involved with a few internal acitivities within the firm.

Just some additional info: Born in Tanzania, lived in India and the US (US citizen).. Not sure if I fall under the Indian Male pool..

So based on my limited information, do you think I have a chance at a top school? Any ones in particular? Is there anything else I could do to be more competitive at these schools? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AR

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:33 am
I think that adding balance to your application through outside interests and volunteer work could be quite important for you. You could try to find a way to volunteer "on the road", or through Deloitte. Do you have a particular interest in healthcare? Is there anything that you could do related to that field? Also, perhaps you could volunteer as an alumni contact or fundraiser for Ohio State. Toastmasters is great - have you been able to take a "leadership" role of some sort within your group? Think about all of your activities, work and otherwise and try to figure out how you can leverage them to demonstrate leadership. I do think you have a shot at a top school, but would look beyond the top 5.
Good luck!
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Questions

by arags01 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:49 am
I am interested in Healthcare and my ideal job would be to work in healthcare marketing strategy (pharma, biotech etc.). I am going to be leading 2 project management tools/resume workshop sessions (Jan 07)for members of a non-pofit organization. I can relate this to my toastmasters experience. I am on a project in the West Coast and I helped create a biweekly team building/knowledge transfer session where we encouraged our project team/ other colleagues to talk about their projects or any additional topics (presentation skills, tools, internal stuff etc.) Also, I will be on the subcommitte for the MS society from Nov-Jan 07.

I am hoping to address my low verbal scores through my essays and recommendations. However, can you recommend schools that I might be competitive at? I am looking to enhance my healthcare experience but would like to learn more about strategy and marketing. I am also looking to get some international exposure due to the global marketplace. Thanks again for all your support.

AR

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:57 am
Be careful when discussing the GMAT scores. It's a hard one to explain since it is a level playing field and everyone faces the same test. You do not want to seem like you are making excuses.

Some suggested schools: Yale, Michigan, Fuqua, Kellogg, NYU
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by arags01 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:33 am
Hi Stacy,

I gave this some more thought over the weekend and have decided to apply only to 1 school this year. I am interested in Duke's Healthcare Sector Management program and am going to give it a shot. I am going to work on strengthening other aspects of my application this/next year in order to be more competitive at the ultra elite schools. However, I would go to DUKE in a heartbeat.

I have also decided to retake the GMAT for the last time and was wondering if I should retake it for the 3rd time. I do feel like I can score over a 640 but if I were to get the same (or lower) score, will it have a negative impact on my application? Do you recommend applying to Duke with the 640 and giving it my best shot?

If all fails, this whole process will help me better prepare for next year (Fall'0. Thanks,

AR

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:53 pm
A 640 will not keep you out so give it your best shot and see what happens.

They will use your highest score, even if it is your 2nd of 3 attempts. If you improve, it will show perseverance - that could be a good thing.
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me